VMware Cloud Community
galibai
Contributor
Contributor

what I loose in a mix cluster of ESX 3.5 and ESX 4 ?

Hi, I would like to know what will I loose in terms of vphere features, if I was use mix of ESX3.5 and ESX4 with vc 2.5 ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
thomps01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I wouldn't recommend mixing the different versions in the same cluster.

Although on the face of it you might not see any issues, there are a number of small changes made with HA and this could trip you up.

I would suggest either upgrade all the ESX 4.x or create 2 seperate clusters.

In terms of features not being available, I guess the main thing is support for DPM on a mixed cluster.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I do not think you can manage an ESX/ESXi 4.0 host with VC 2.5 - you would need to upgrade your vCenter 4.0 since vCenter 4.0 can manage a mixed environment and then that is only recommended as part of the path to upgrade to vSphere.

During the period where you are running a mixed environment on vCenter 4.0 you would not be able to upgrade your virtual machine hardware to verion 7 which includes the increase to the amount of memory, number of CPUs and NICs in your virtual machine to name a few. Also you would not be able to FT.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos