VMware Cloud Community
ginger8990
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

want to know any difference between

I am not sure what is the difference ( advantage and disadvantage) for add additional VM hard disk to a VM and partition a VM hard disk into C and D?

I created a VM with C drive only but we need a D drive so I just add anther VM hard disk in "edit settings", but not sure whether it will be an issue?

Ginger

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

IMO there's no disadvantage in using separate disks for each partition. With this approach it's even easier to increase the size of each partition (i.e. virtual disk) separately in case it is necessary, without the need of any partitioning tools.

André

0 Kudos
ginger8990
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That is good to hear. I am so worried the additional disk won't persistent ( I saw it was offline sometimes on the old server...not sure why)

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Well, I installed hundreds of servers this way and didn't have any issues so far. Maybe it is necessary to dig deeper in the guest OS itself (e.g. event logs etc.) if such an issue occurs.

André

0 Kudos
jrmunday
Commander
Commander

I completely agree with a.p. - Having one disk per partition will save you heaps of time in management overhead - I use this method successfully on >1000 VM's.

vExpert 2014 - 2022 | VCP6-DCV | http://www.jonmunday.net | @JonMunday77
0 Kudos
ginger8990
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We don't have many VMs as you do. I think you are both right.

Thank you all.

0 Kudos
mirceaflorin
Contributor
Contributor

Beside the advantage of being able to increase the size of each partition ( as other people mentioned above - in my opinion the best advantage) , I would also mention the ability to exclude a disk from snapshot by setting it as Independent -> VMware vSphere 5.1 .

This has come in handy quite a few times for me.

Regards,

Mircea

0 Kudos