VMware Cloud Community
stremblay
Contributor
Contributor

vtd failed to load

Hello!

I have a Supermicro X7SB4 motherboard with an Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 CPU. This processor supports Intel VT and I have enabled it in the BIOS. The BIOS also has the option for Intel VT-d which I am trying to enable so I can get PCI passthrough support. I get an error upon startup of ESXi saying "vtd failed to load with status -1, -1, 0xbad0001" I took that error verbatim from the server logs. Is there anything that I am doing wrong? I have double checked to make sure Intel VT and Intel VT-d are enabled in the BIOS and they are. I have also tried to reinstall ESXi with no luck. In fact, it even gives me that error while booting up from the install CD.

Any help on this would be appreciated!

Steve

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I have a Supermicro X7SB4 motherboard with an Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 CPU

Did you check to see if this board is on the Hardware Compatibility list?

If not, that's probably why it's not working. Not all boards are created equal...

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

I thought that VMDirectPath is only available on new Nehalem CPUs and not on old C2Ds.

Regards

Joerg

'Remember if you found this or others answers helpful do not forget to award points by marking an answer as helpful or correct'

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

For an Intel box VMDirectPath requires VT-d which is a chipset and not CPU feature. You can get VMDirectPath to work on older systems.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

The following doc only mentioned INTEL 5500 or AMD with IOMMU,

Regards

Joerg

'Remember if you found this or others answers helpful do not forget to award points by marking an answer as helpful or correct'

0 Kudos