VMware Cloud Community
BarrySmoke
Contributor
Contributor

vsphere web client needs a lot of work, multiple issues lately

In general, I'm the kind of tech that researches till his eyes pop out, looking for solutions online, and in knowledge bases.

I've been involved with vmware since workstation 2, or 3, and vsphere 3.  I miss the simpler graphical gui, that was an app, and actually did what you wanted it to, manage esx/esxi servers.

My first issue with the new vsphere web client, came from my inventory getting corrupted, and there was no way I found to repair the inventory.  All of the blogs, and web articles I read, vmware knowledge base articles, etc...none of the solutions worked.

I ended up completely un-installing, and re-installing, and setting up my environment again.  good thing this was a lab environment, and not a customer site.

I lost a complete day doing all that.

now, I lost half a day, because of a simple nic add scenario.

I was installing a mellanox connectx3-en nic, trying to get SR-IOV working, which come to find out, I have to install custom firmware...ugh.

anyway, I couldn't get their driver bundle installed, because apparently having an integrated acronis vm, with active_boot module installed breaks it's installation.

long story short, finally removed that module, installed mellanox driver bundle successfully, went to add an extra vmxnet3 nic to the vm, and the vm reconfig failed in the vsphere web client.

Once I had a single failure in there, I couldn't try to make any other changes to the vm.  I had to remove the host from inventory, then add it back to get editing capability.

then, I got the notice about removing the scsi filter, that acronis had put in place.

so, over the past couple of months, I have had lots of various issues with the vmware vsphere web client, and the whole architecture just seems to get more complicated, and harder to manage.

the web client should have automatically corrected some of these issues, or led me to better resolutions, than my hammer approaches.

vsphere/esxi 5.5

0 Kudos
0 Replies