VMware Cloud Community
VegardK
Contributor
Contributor

vsphere console window broken?

For some unknown reason when opening a VM console window they all open like this, no matter what VM i try to start. How can I fix this so that I can use it? Cause with this I am not able to do anything.

screen.png

15 Replies
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

are you able to RDP OK in this VM.

if so, uninstall VMware tools and re-install them.

are those Windows 10 Machines only ? or you face this issue with all the Operating systems baed VMs in your environment.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
VegardK
Contributor
Contributor

Two machines work with TeamViewer, but I am unable to set up TV on the 3rd PC. Trying to install a new VM seems to be broken too long before I can even install VM Tools. I was trying to do a KODIubuntu test and that is Ubuntu based and I was not able to even install this as the screens was fubar. Trying to install a new W10 installation is the same the screen is fubar and I am not able to even install a new VM....

I tried installing vSphere client again. but that did not seem to solve this problem.

0 Kudos
pedrocalixto
Contributor
Contributor

Download and install the standalone VMRC. Launch it via Web Client and see if the issue happens.

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=VMRC810&productId=491

_________________________________________ If you find an answer that helps you, please mark it as "correct" or "helpful". VCP6-DCV Http://pedrocalixto.com | virtually anything is possible
0 Kudos
VegardK
Contributor
Contributor

Did not work. I get error on installation something about hcmon etc.

EDIT: I managed to get it installed by Rename the C:\windows\system32\drivers\hcmon.sys file to hcmon.sys.old.

But I do not have Web Client as this is a pro feature, I only have the free esxi 6 version. And when trying with the client the same problem occur.

0 Kudos
pedrocalixto
Contributor
Contributor

Is the ESXi version 6.0 U2?

_________________________________________ If you find an answer that helps you, please mark it as "correct" or "helpful". VCP6-DCV Http://pedrocalixto.com | virtually anything is possible
0 Kudos
VegardK
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it is the latest version.

0 Kudos
VegardK
Contributor
Contributor

Nobody knows why this happens? Its so bad as it would take to much time to fix this now.

0 Kudos
VegardK
Contributor
Contributor

Ok so I tested on another laptop, and that one is ok. So what has happened to my laptop? I have tried removing vmware client from PC and reinstalled but the problem seems to be here still...

0 Kudos
a4wanman
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue on my Windows 10 with Anniversary Update.  The VMWare client worked before installing the Anniversary Update.

VegardK
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe there is something with that then. Because when you say that I this update has not been done on the other laptop that I tried on today.

Then this problem needs to happen to more people so there should be a upcoming fix then?

0 Kudos
pedrocalixto
Contributor
Contributor

So you don't have vCenter? From version 6.0 U2 of ESXi, the web client is native. Log into http://HOST_IP/ui and try to use the VMRC console.

0 Kudos
Glen60
Contributor
Contributor

I recognized the connection between the anniversary addition too.  "Feature Update to Windows 10 Enterprise v1607 en-US  KB3012973"

I upgraded my client to 6 update 2 but that behaves the same.

0 Kudos
Glen60
Contributor
Contributor

I may be the last to know this but a workaround for this issue is to check the box for "disable display scaling on high DPI settings" in the properties of the vSphere Client shortcut.

0 Kudos
DavoudTeimouri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Here is the solution:

Run vSphere Client in compatibility mode and set the compatibility mode to Windows 7.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Davoud Teimouri - https://www.teimouri.net - Twitter: @davoud_teimouri Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/teimouri.net/
DanielMVM
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to work around this issue using the VMRC via command line—no super-bloated and ugly Web Client needed (thank god).

0 Kudos