VMware Cloud Community
brettcarr1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vsphere client on Windows 7 rc

Has anybody managed to get the vsphere client working on Windows 7, it installed fine but when I try and login to an esx server, I get an error:

Error Parsing the server "192.168.1.10" "clients.xml" file Login will continue contact your system administrator

Clicking ok gives me another error

The type initializer for "VirtualInfrastrcture.Utils.HttpWebRequestProxy" threw an exception

Clicking ok returns me to the login dialogue.

I know Windows 7 isn't released yet but as it's so close I would of thought vmware would of tested it.

Brett

0 Kudos
211 Replies
StaticlyCharged
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks! Works perfectly. Should be great until they 7 is supported.

0 Kudos
yannara
Contributor
Contributor

This is more Win7 issue, than an VMware issue, but anyway - I heard some talking, that people run Win7 in Win XP more, or they virtualize Win XP on Win7 with its own tools. How is that possible? I would be satisfied, if I would get Win XP running in Win7 and there would control ESXi 4.0 through Vsphere client.

0 Kudos
StaticlyCharged
Contributor
Contributor

I Think what you're referring to is this:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

And then they simply install the vsphere client in there. Although, you could always use vmware workstation:)

0 Kudos
r0bertmurray
Contributor
Contributor

Works for me. Thanks!

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

whether they are working on a patch or new client that is W7 compatible?

I doubt you will see ANY change from VM Ware regarding Windows 7, until its officially released. Unless they happen to release a vCenter / VI Client update between now and then... which HAPPENS to fix the problem.

Surely someone at VM Ware MUST be running Windows 7. . . . . They could easily test it.

0 Kudos
Tasioreczek
Contributor
Contributor

Works fine for me

0 Kudos
MaCro
Contributor
Contributor

Although I got vSphere client running fine for connections to ESX host servers, I just upgraded my VirtualCenter 2.5 server to vCenter, and when I connect to the vCenter server the program crashes. I am able to log in, and the status messages go through Connecting, loading inventory, Discovering Plugins... and then the login window closes without error message. Clients on XP and 2003 server work fine. This same 4.0 Client was able to connect to the same server when it was running VC 2.5. I haven't got any plugins installed yet, although they work fine on the other machines.

I'm running x64 RC build 7100

****Edit: Actually I was able to get it running after completely removing all VMware client tools, deleting the program files(x86) and my user's AppData\VMware directories, reinstalling, anda applying the afforementioned development hack again.

0 Kudos
davidvanvn
Contributor
Contributor

I tested it, same with XP

0 Kudos
GuessWho369
Contributor
Contributor

you're the man - this worked like a charm on Win7 x64 as well. Thanks for the post!

0 Kudos
rcustersp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 7 is now RTM. I expect that we will be seeing news of a new vSphere client soon.

0 Kudos
s1xth
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Just wanted to post that this works for me too..thanks SO much for the work around!!!

http://www.virtualizationimpact.com http://www.handsonvirtualization.com Twitter: @jfranconi
0 Kudos
sidbrydon
Contributor
Contributor

Absolutely awesome made the change on a Windows 2008 R2 RC machine and this also worked.

Thanks for the help

Regards

Andrew

0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Super-de-dooper, thank you very much for posting this SUPERB piece of work Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
into_311
Contributor
Contributor

I am hoping Vmware can release a product update to fix this issue. I'm not excited about changing around dll's and making changes to .net that I might forget to change back later....

For the meantime, I will just run XP ins a virtual machine. But VMware, if you are listening to this thread you might want to fix your client considering that almost every IT guy on the planet right now is running Windows 7 to test whether their applications are compatible and this is TRULY one of the only programs I have had issues with thus far. I think running another virtual machine instance just to remotely manage my Virtual Servers is just too much..

Thanks for the fix though Fernando! I might try it out one of these days if I can't stand firing up a VM everytime I want to manage my servers in our environment.

0 Kudos
AsherN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

With Win 7 going RTM on Aug 6, when can we expect a fix for the vSphere client?

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

well A) VM Ware isn't Microsoft, just because Microsoft has a NEW product release doesn't infer that VM Ware has to support it. B) you CHOSE to use Windows 7, the VI Client works on Vista, XP, 2003. So if you don't want to use the work around, then that is the alternative.

Also releases for new products are not known in advance, we will ALL know at the same time, which is about a day before they come out.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

For the meantime, I will just run XP ins a virtual machine. But VMware, if you are listening to this thread you might want to fix your client considering that almost every IT guy on the planet right now is running Windows 7 to test

Nice rant. But too bad VM Ware isn't interested in BETA testing products. Yes they SHOULD be aware and they know about products as the come out, but I wouldn't hold my breathe waiting for the next client release, since 4 other alternatives work fine. That's all they will say, use another OS to run the client.

0 Kudos
AsherN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Actually, I would expect a company like VMware to stay with the curve. I don't expect to release updates while an OS is Beta, or even RC. I DO expect the product to work with RTM code. Win 7 is likely to be widely accepted. A lot of shops have been holding back on desktop replacements due to the economy. It is more than likely that when the next batch of desktops get replaced, they will arrive with Win 7. It is part of our job to test and accept new OS. The workaround or running a VM just to run the client is not acceptable. It is time for VMware to give us a reasonable timeframe for a Win 7 compatible version. And it really should not be months.

0 Kudos
Innuendo
Contributor
Contributor

well A) VM Ware isn't Microsoft, just because Microsoft has a NEW product release doesn't infer that VM Ware has to support it. B) you CHOSE to use Windows 7, the VI Client works on Vista, XP, 2003. So if you don't want to use the work around, then that is the alternative.

Also releases for new products are not known in advance, we will ALL know at the same time, which is about a day before they come out.

A) lol, yes it does. You meant LEGALLY ? Well, LEGALLY, many things can be ignore since you don't have to follow the market rules...but if you want to survive, you have to follow these rules. VMware have no choice at all : they have to fix this problem for both Seven and 2008 R2 asap (incredible it isn't done yet if you ask me).

B) ppl using Seven aren't chosing the market rules I just dealt with. Many companies started to use Vista and deploy it on their noetwork with the ton of problems everybody is aware of. Now those companies don't want to step back to a 10 years old OS and would like to try the "Vista R2" (real Seven name) which is meant to fix most of the problems (and it fixes them, we all tried it hard time). Don't think everyone chose to use Seven, you are obviously not right here.

Now, the alternatives still exist and the fact XP or even Vista (and server versions of them) are working with new client is still a good work around. But I fail to understand why VMware isn't fixing this right now, this is plain stupid. Sooooo long before you can install client on x64 systems...well, how long before Seven will be supported ?

Very hard to understand why a so tiny change (and IT IS a tiny change, every dev can state here easily) isn't done yet.

Regards.

0 Kudos
tsd_david
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Development mode is work on Windows 7 RTM 7600 with out reboot!

0 Kudos