VMware Cloud Community
brettcarr1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vsphere client on Windows 7 rc

Has anybody managed to get the vsphere client working on Windows 7, it installed fine but when I try and login to an esx server, I get an error:

Error Parsing the server "192.168.1.10" "clients.xml" file Login will continue contact your system administrator

Clicking ok gives me another error

The type initializer for "VirtualInfrastrcture.Utils.HttpWebRequestProxy" threw an exception

Clicking ok returns me to the login dialogue.

I know Windows 7 isn't released yet but as it's so close I would of thought vmware would of tested it.

Brett

0 Kudos
211 Replies
RickEveleigh
Contributor
Contributor

Excellent, thanks RichardWest that worked!

0 Kudos
Knandermueller
Contributor
Contributor

Awesome fix, thanks!!! You need a "Buy me a Beer" link.

0 Kudos
jaspain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have been using the workaround "Running VMware vSphere Client on Windows 7" at http://www.techhead.co.uk/running-vmware-vsphere-client-on-windows-7 successfully on Windows 7 RTM x86 and x64. Now with the release of vSphere 4.0 Update 1, the workaround appears no longer to be necessary. I completely uninstalled the old vSphere client, deleted the installation directory, and removed the DEVPATH environment variable before installing the new client. I do find, however, that the new vSphere client has to be run with elevated privileges in Windows 7 x64 (but not in Windows Vista x64). I haven't tested x86.

0 Kudos
RCISS
Contributor
Contributor

Works like a charm..

I did a little bit different in the shortcut..

I did the first 3 steps exactly as you specified, but instead of creating a batch file to launch, I did this, so I wouldn't have a meaningless dos window in my taskbar.

Create a local user account, (mine is "local user" and my computername is "DEV2")

Login as that user and set the DEVPATH in the user ENV settings (not the global).

Create a desktop shortcut to the VpxClient.exe

Add the following command to the begining of the TARGET string (replace "dev2\local user" with the username of your local user.

C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe "/user:dev2\local user" /savecred

So the final target will look something like this.

C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe "/user:dev2\local user" /savecred "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher\VpxClient.exe"

Then I changed the shortcut ICON back to the orig.

The first time you run it, it will open a DOS window and ask for the password of that account, but running it again it just flashes a DOS window and launches the app. I don't know if it will save the password after a reboot.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The workaround is no longer necessary since the new vSphere client fully supports Windows 7. Download the new client. Remove your modified files and reinstall the software.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
mammer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The workaround is no longer necessary since the new vSphere client fully supports Windows 7. Download the new client. Remove your modified files and reinstall the software.

The above statement is NOT true as of today. The vSphere client is still not supported/fully function on Windows 7.

0 Kudos
Photubias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes it truly is.

Official changelogs refer to Windows 7 & Windows Server 2008 R2 as supported operating systems. Both as guests for ESX/ESXi as operating systems to install vSphere Client on.

Just google it:

http://vmetc.com/2009/11/19/esx-4-0-u1-release-paves-way-for-view-4-supports-win-7-and-updates-vsphe...

http://www.boche.net/blog/index.php/2009/11/19/vsphere-4-update-1-released/

I think this topic can be closed now.

Regards,

Photubias

0 Kudos
amitjoshi
Contributor
Contributor

Confirmed, although a clean install of the client is recommended. I web browsed to one of my hosts and downloaded the updated client from there. Ran the installer and it stated it was running an upgrade. After it completed, the application failed to launch. I then completely uninstalled the vSphere Client from my workstation and installed again from the same installer, and it worked like a charm.

So, make sure that if you were using the workaround, uninstall completely and then install U1 from scratch. I am using Win7Ent64bit .

0 Kudos
jaspain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just curious: are any of you running the vSphere client under an account that is other than the built-in local Administrator or built-in Domain Administrator? I have found that running under an account other than these, even if it is a member of the local Administrators group, I get a User Account Control prompt when launching the vSphere client and must run it with elevated privileges? I, too, am using Win7Entx64. What has your experience been? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 7 is now offically released for over a month, is there any official fix on this vCenter Client issue yet?

0 Kudos
amitjoshi
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. Try reading the last few posts before commenting.

0 Kudos
Staggerleib
Contributor
Contributor

The Update 1 version of the vCenter client simply works on Win764bit. If you completely uninstall all remnants of your VC client on your machine (i mean everything, all versions, storage vmotion plugins, etc) you will be able to get the client reinstalled, but only if you use the Update 1 version.

That being said, please remember that VUM is still having difficulties running if you've got VCenter 4 update1 in place on your virtual center server. Guage for yourself which is more important.

Matthew Leib

Matthew Leib
0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

yes..its been included in Update 1 patches

Just remove all the workaround changes and after updating to update 1 you will be good to go.

0 Kudos
BadTim
Contributor
Contributor

Quick and dirty clarification if you're still having issues after reading the posts above:

1. Update your host to current using vSphere Update Utility on a working platform (IE: Windows XP)

2. Navigate to your newly updated host using a web browser on your Windows 7 x64 computer

3. Download and install vSphere Client on your Windows 7 x64 computer

4. Enjoy

0 Kudos
jdiekert
Contributor
Contributor

Ich bin bis zum 04.01.2010 nicht im Hause. In dringenden Fällen wenden Sie sich bitte an Herrn Paff (17313)

0 Kudos
BBRAIL
Contributor
Contributor

Works fine on Windows 7 Home Premium as well.

Little bit strange that VMware do not have an updated client for this.

It saved me a lot of work.

Thank ´s Tony

0 Kudos
DanielOprea
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello

Hola

Aqui te dejo las instrucciones para areglar el error que da el vmware vsphere client en windows 7, vista x 86 x64.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VQCJ857O

Es un archivo winrar con un documento word donde viene explicado todo paso a paso y con pantallazos y tambien la dll que tendras que importar.

Un Saludo

PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT answer. Thanks!!
Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA. ¡¡Muchas gracias!!
Blogs: https://danieloprea.blogspot.com/
0 Kudos
huddie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

(Apologies if this is posted twice. I had some trouble with the editor and may have accidentally posted the message while editing it.)

Here's a possible workaround for this problem.

1. Obtain a copy of %SystemRoot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.dll from a non Windows 7 machine that has .NET 3.5 SP1 installed.

2. Create a folder in the Windows 7 machine where the vSphere client is installed and copy the file from step 1 into this folder. For example, create the folder under the vSphere client launcher installation directory (%ProgramFiles%\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher\Lib).

3. In the vSphere client launcher directory, open the VpxClient.exe.config file in a text editor and add a <runtime> element and a <developmentMode> element as shown below. Save the file.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<configuration>

<runtime>

<developmentMode developerInstallation="true"/>

</runtime>

</configuration>

3. Create a batch file (e.g. VpxClient.cmd) in a suitable location. In this file add a command to set the DEVPATH environment variable to the folder where you copied the System.dll assembly in step 2 and a second command to launch the vSphere client. Save the file. For example,

SET DEVPATH=%ProgramFiles%\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher\Lib

"%ProgramFiles%\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher\VpxClient.exe"

4. (Optional) Replace the shortcut on the start menu to point to the batch file created in the previous step. Change the shortcut properties to run minimized so that the command window is not shown.

You can now use the VpxClient.cmd (or the shortcut) to launch the vSphere client in Windows 7.

Note that this workaround bypasses the normal .NET Framework loading mechanism so that assembly versions in the DEVPATH folder are no longer checked. Handle with care.

Fernando

Thankyou Fernando, a great workaround well documented. It worked for me. You're a star!

0 Kudos
RColbert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The issue w/ the VSphere client & Windows 7 was resolved in the last ESXi update patch.

You can also download the updated client directly from VMware which installs perfectly on Windows 7 x86 & x64.

Moderators, can we please lock this thread?

0 Kudos
wuestenfuchs
Contributor
Contributor

While the vSphere client now installs fine on Windows 7, it does not fully work.

I have installed it on Windows 7 x64 and I can access ESXi servers just fine, but it refuses to connect to a VMWare Server 2.0 host. When trying to do so, it complains about requiring some installer from the host but being unable to download it from this host.

Is there a fix or workaround?

0 Kudos