VMware Cloud Community
brettcarr1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vsphere client on Windows 7 rc

Has anybody managed to get the vsphere client working on Windows 7, it installed fine but when I try and login to an esx server, I get an error:

Error Parsing the server "192.168.1.10" "clients.xml" file Login will continue contact your system administrator

Clicking ok gives me another error

The type initializer for "VirtualInfrastrcture.Utils.HttpWebRequestProxy" threw an exception

Clicking ok returns me to the login dialogue.

I know Windows 7 isn't released yet but as it's so close I would of thought vmware would of tested it.

Brett

0 Kudos
211 Replies
Guy_Chapman
Contributor
Contributor

If I could award points for this I would. You just saved me a massive amount of work, Fernando. Thanks.

Guy

0 Kudos
evanism
Contributor
Contributor

Brilliant Zip, worked a treat.

0 Kudos
oli116
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have the same problem, "run as administrator" does not help:

Installed on W7 RTM 64bit host, vSphere client 4.0.0-162856 works only with the ESX 4.0.0-171294 server.

For ESX 3.5 server, ESX 3.5i server, and vmware server 2.01, it tries to download the older vi client.

I use your viclient_fix.zip, vSphere client 4.0 was installed as administrator.

Oliver

0 Kudos
Limbaugh
Contributor
Contributor

I'm running it just fine. Installed vSphere 4 on Windows 7 Ultimate and everything is working. Been running it since the RTM was available last month.

vSphere version 4.0.0.7797.

0 Kudos
oli116
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone tried connecting to Server 2.1, ESX 3.5, or ESXi 3.5? This does not work for me, only connecting to ESX 4.0 with vShere Client 4.0 works.

0 Kudos
WilliHDT
Contributor
Contributor

Hi[~799150],

where can I download the latest vSphere Client Version? Could you please upload your version that is working on Windows 7?

Does this Version also support ESX 3.5 Hosts?

Regards - Willi

0 Kudos
darko011
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for this zip

0 Kudos
KingAlex23
Contributor
Contributor

GodSpeed Fernando that worked like a charm.

"Bad .NET, bad...." :smileyangry:

:smileygrin:

0 Kudos
seans
Contributor
Contributor

The powershell script worked like a charm for me. Many thanks.

0 Kudos
HaTaX
Contributor
Contributor

Awesome! Was hoping there wouldn't be too many hoops to jump through for Win 7. I however installed the VI Client on my 😧 drive so I had to modify the script just a bit and I'm not using the variables to define the paths. Also thought I'd add this for people that don't like the DOS box sticking around after launching it. I have the last two lines of my batch file (CMD file) set like so:

CD /D "D:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher"

START VpxClient.exe

The CD /D command changes drives if needed and goes to the path specified, then the start command starts up the VI Client while allowing the batch file to complete its run and it closes out the window it was running in. Then you're left with only your VI Client running and no extra dos window.

Thanks to everyone on this! Seems too easy and I'm surprised VMWare doesn't have an update to address this just yet..

0 Kudos
TGW69
Contributor
Contributor

I have seen many workarounds for this issue. The best one that I have seen with full detailed instructions is on the following site.

It does include the system.dll file that is needed to run as well. I have not had any issues with the client after making these changes.

0 Kudos
JamesSykes
Contributor
Contributor

Comon Vmware pull your finger out. Windows 7 has been RC forever now and it's not released. This client should have been here a long time ago.

0 Kudos
TobiasKracht
Expert
Expert

I`ve just found that it 100% works without any problems if install WCF in Windows components.

StarWind Software R&D

StarWind Software R&D http://www.starwindsoftware.com
0 Kudos
rcustersp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mine does not work with WCF installed. I installed both the http and non-http versions. No luck.

0 Kudos
TobiasKracht
Expert
Expert

My mistake, I didn`t note, that I used it as addition to fix with DEVPATH. Sorry )

StarWind Software R&D

StarWind Software R&D http://www.starwindsoftware.com
0 Kudos
Jeshurunsa
Contributor
Contributor

This worked for me on Windows 32 bit platform :-

1. Install Vspehere Client 4.0.0 on Windows 7

2. Right Click on Shortcut on Desktop and select compatibility

3. Select Checkbox and run th program in compatibility mode for Windows XP3

4. Click Ok

5. Run Vsphere Client

0 Kudos
tsd_david
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have seen many workarounds for this issue. The best one that I have seen with full detailed instructions is on the following site.

Dear TGW69,

It is a good method! I set on my Windows 7 Enterprise x64 RTM, works and no batch file need. Thanks!

-david

0 Kudos
CarnageHimura
Contributor
Contributor

Tonym89, Your process has working perfect to me, Thak you!!!

0 Kudos
jamesrichter
Contributor
Contributor

This did not work on my system. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate and the only 'compatibility' option was a wizard where I did select XP SP3, and it still generates the same error message for clients.xml.

0 Kudos
TGW69
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 7 Ulitmate x86 or x64? did you check the following workaround? this is proven to work on 64bit.

0 Kudos