VMware Cloud Community
brettcarr1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vsphere client on Windows 7 rc

Has anybody managed to get the vsphere client working on Windows 7, it installed fine but when I try and login to an esx server, I get an error:

Error Parsing the server "192.168.1.10" "clients.xml" file Login will continue contact your system administrator

Clicking ok gives me another error

The type initializer for "VirtualInfrastrcture.Utils.HttpWebRequestProxy" threw an exception

Clicking ok returns me to the login dialogue.

I know Windows 7 isn't released yet but as it's so close I would of thought vmware would of tested it.

Brett

0 Kudos
211 Replies
donfrank
Contributor
Contributor

I have windows 7 64 bit. I clicked the provided shortcut.

0 Kudos
GlenR
Contributor
Contributor

I just uninstalled, reinstalled the latest VI 4, and then ran the zip file, both apps open fine. I am unable to replicate this issue so I don't know what to tell you other than maybe reinstall and try again.

GlenR

0 Kudos
donfrank
Contributor
Contributor

When you say the latest VI 4, do you mean the one from the ESXi server

after it's installed, dated around 5/09?

Don Frank CEO

Open Technologies

donfrank@opentech.biz

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 14, 2009, at 6:20 PM, "GlenR" <communities-emailer@vmware.com

0 Kudos
modmaven
Contributor
Contributor

Nice one GlenR! That works great. I have linked to this forum giving you credit, etc. and added a blog post with a step-by-step here...

:smileylaugh:

0 Kudos
robshaw22
Contributor
Contributor

I also cannot launch the vi client after using the zip file. Same error as donfrank. I extracted the zip file and changed the vi client target to run start_viclient.bat.

Error:

Followed these instructions:

System is Win 7 Enterprise RTM code 64 bit. Build 6.1.7600 Build 7600.

ESXi 4.0.0 host server build 171294. Latest build release to date. Downloaded vi client directly from host.

0 Kudos
GlenR
Contributor
Contributor

I have the exact same setup as you Rob and I'm not really sure what is causing this for you and Don. Does anyone else have any ideas what might be causing this issue?

GlenR

0 Kudos
ITFocus
Contributor
Contributor

I've just installed for the second time, 'Windows 7 x64', and as before, worked perfectly..

Nigelh

0 Kudos
GlenR
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks modmaven, were you able to implement this without any issues? I'm not sure what is causing the crash issue and I looked on your blog and everything seemed to be correct, just wondering if you followed those same instructions as well.

GlenR

0 Kudos
GlenR
Contributor
Contributor

I just triple checked the zip file on a fresh install of W7 (my laptop) with a fresh install of the viclient and everything worked as expected. I did find an issue with the Update batch file, that has been fixed and included with this post.

Do either of you have Visual Studio installed?

Never mind, I think I just figured it out by accident. Are both of you using the provided shortcuts or are you using the one on your desktop? I just found out that if you click the original unmodified shortcut on the desktop the app will crash just like both of you described.

GlenR

0 Kudos
robshaw22
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry it took so long to respond. I used the original shortcut on the desktop, but modified it to run the batch file in the target "start_viclient.bat".

0 Kudos
robshaw22
Contributor
Contributor

I do not have Visual Studio installed. I am trying the new zip file on both Win 7 RTM and on Win 7 RC Ultimate. I'll let you know what happens.

0 Kudos
GlenR
Contributor
Contributor

Please try the included shortcuts instead, they are installed to the same directory you unzip to.

Glen Rhea – GeoStor Administrator

Arkansas Geographic Information Office - Putting Arkansas on the Map

1 Capitol Mall

2nd Floor 2B 900

Little Rock, AR 72201

501.683.2719 Tel

501.682.6077 Fax

glen.rhea@arkansas.gov<mailto:glen.rhea@arkansas.gov> (Email)

http://www.geostor.arkansas.gov (Web)

Twitter<http://www.twitter.com/kirrilian> | Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/glen.rhea> | LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/in/glenrhea> (Social Media)

0 Kudos
robshaw22
Contributor
Contributor

I installed the viclient from the ESXi host on Win 7 RC Ultimate. Unzipped the latest zip file. Launched viclient via the batch file and the client launches, but with the original errors. Weird. "Error parsing the server "192.x.x.x" "clients.xml" file. Login will continue, contact your system administrator." Followed by "The type initializer for "VirtualInfrastructure.Utils.HttpWebRequestProxy" threw an exception."

I may be sticking with my XP VM to run the client :). but I am not giving up just yet.

0 Kudos
donfrank
Contributor
Contributor

I have reinstalled and then applied your "patch" as instructed. I get the same issue as before. The Update client fails. I am using your shortcuts in the directory and not any from the desktop. I also tried to execute the update bat file directly.

0 Kudos
ftubio
Contributor
Contributor

For the error "VpxClient (or Vi Update) has stopped working", this is typically a sign that the DEVPATH environment variable is pointing to a location that does not exist. You should double-check that the variable is being set to an existing folder that contains the System.dll file (from a non-Windows 7 machine).

For the error "Error parsing the server "192.x.x.x" "clients.xml", this usually means that either the configuration file is missing the section that enables developmentMode or that the System.dll file is not present in the folder where DEVPATH is pointing. In other words, the folder exists but you have failed to copy the file into it.

My suggestion is to troubleshoot this by opening a command prompt and typing in the commands in the batch file. After setting the DEVPATH environment variable, type CD %DEVPATH%, which should change the current directory to the folder where you placed the System.dll file. If you get an error, it means that you are not setting the path correctly. Next, you can run DIR to make sure that the System.dll file is in the correct location.

Good luck.

Fernando Tubio

0 Kudos
modmaven
Contributor
Contributor

I was taking screenshots as I did a fresh install of the client. Used your zip file, and blogged as I went. Worked great first try. It has also continued to work since then. It seems to be a bit hit and miss for others..I will keep an eye on this thread and update my blog as needed to make things more clear or change instructions.

modmaven.wordpress.com

0 Kudos
robshaw22
Contributor
Contributor

So I got it working. Unfortunately, it was user error. Thanks to Fernando for hammering the DEVPATH variable point.

On my Win 7 Ultimate RC pc, I had the "start_viclient.bat" setting the DEVPATH to ProgramFiles(x86)/VMware...This doesn't work so well if your system is freakin 32 bit.

I had reversed the batch files when copying them to my 32 bit Win 7 install and my 64 bit Win 7 install. DUH. So both didnt work because the DEVPATH variabe was getting set to a path that didn't exist.

All works perfectly. Thanks for posting the zip file. I can finally use Win 7 and launch the vSphere client. Thanks for everyone's help!

0 Kudos
GlenR
Contributor
Contributor

Glad to hear you got it working Rob.

I also discovered something last night, I can't connect to my 3.5 hosts using this hack. It tries to download the older vi client. I can connect from the new client to a 3.5 host on Vista, but not W7.

GlenR

0 Kudos
donfrank
Contributor
Contributor

Makeing progress. If I click on the start_viupdate.bat file I get the error. If I run as Administrator, it works fine. Is there a premission problem?

Don

UPDATE: I went to the shortcut for vSphere Update Client and went to the properties and selected run as Administrator. Now it works fine.

0 Kudos
GlenR
Contributor
Contributor

That's very possible, the first thing I do is disable UAC so I don't run into issues like this Smiley Happy

0 Kudos