VMware Cloud Community
valentinabombel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vsphere 5 and local webserver IIS

Hi all,

sorry for my english, i'm from italy and i'm new in this community but i have a problem with my vsphere 5.

I have created a host with vsphere 5 inside this host i have 1 virtual machine Microsoft Small Business Server 2011 and 2 virtual machines Windows 7 Professional.

The infrastructure is:

1 router Fritzbox attached to a server hp proliant.

Inside the server i have vmware esx 5 and inside esx i have 3 virtual machines

Now i have setup a local webserver in 1 virtual machine with Windows 7 Professional and IIS 7

I have a static IP and i have configured the router to forward the traffic from the static ip address to my internal LAN to a specific IP address (the ip of my local web server)

I have opened in my router port 80 for web traffic and opened port 80 also in my windows 7 firewall but when i try to reach my vm from outside, the vm local web server doesn't work. Is there any configuration i need to setup in ESX firewall?

Thank you very much for the answers

Valentina Bombelli

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

From internet do:

telnet <IP address> 80 using a Windows command prompt.. It seems that you do not specify port 80 as it says "... port 23, connection failed"

/Rubeck

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi, and welcome 🙂

The ESXi firewall protects the management interface(s) on the ESXi host itself... it does not protect VMs...

Are you able to reach the internet from the VM?

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

As Rubeck said, the ESXi firewall is specific to the ESXi host and does nothing for the VMs.  I would check to see that I could ping that VM from the router, my own machine, and another VM within the same portgroup.  Also, as stated before, I would make sure that I could ping the gateway from the VM and then work my way out.  You may also want to make sure that IIS is running and bound correctly.

James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
valentinabombel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

yes from the VMs i can reach Internet could it be a problem of my router configuration or my IIS?

Valentina 

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

It might be... Can you do a telnet on port 80 from the internet to the server to see if you get a connection.. ?

/Rubeck

valentinabombel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

if i use telnet and open my static ip with or without port 80 it says unable to open a connection to host on port 23, connection failed

Rodolfo

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

From internet do:

telnet <IP address> 80 using a Windows command prompt.. It seems that you do not specify port 80 as it says "... port 23, connection failed"

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
valentinabombel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I finally solved the problem. I registered my ip address to a service called no-ip.com and now i can access my web server from internet.

I don't know why now works but it works

Thank you all

Valentina Bombelli

0 Kudos