VMware Cloud Community
NEET123
Contributor
Contributor

vsphere 5.1 jumbo frame with xp/windows 7

hi all,

i'm testing jumbo frame with vsphere 5.1, on the red hat 5/6 and windows 2008 server, all good after turning on the jumbo frame from vmxnet3 driver (can ping each other with ping -s 9000 linux-ip/ping -l 9000 windows-ip).  but on windows 7 and xp, it doesn't work.  is xp/win7 supported on jumbo frame?  do i leave the nic settings ON on the client or should i put it back to off (jumbo frame).

thanks for any comment you may add.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Can you check the nic driver settings inside windows vms?  Are they set to jumbo frame mode?

0 Kudos
Lessi001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

when you try to test jumbo frames take care to use the parameter -d to disable IP fragmentation and use the correct size of payload: How to - use vmkping to verify Jumbo Frames - www.running-system.com

Regards

Andi

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.
NEET123
Contributor
Contributor

Actually when I put both windows xp and 7 on the same subnet, it can ping jumbo frame on each other, my server are on one subnet...  If the other one is not on the same subnet then I can't ping with jumbo frame (only regular ping will work).

Is that the behavior of jumbo frame, can't ping jumbo in different subnet?  Or maybe just my old cisco 2960 because I'm using only two Giga nic. Or do I need to enable jumbo routing on my cisco 2960 too?  Ahh no, i check "system mtu routing ?", you can only put 1500 on it and no other value allowed.  so i guess jumbo frames are for the same subnet use only...

Anyways, I'll be testing again this week on my production with cisco 2960s and cisco 3750x with vpshere 5.x and ip-san-10G.  I'll let you know what will happen.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
NEET123
Contributor
Contributor

it's working fine in 3750x (my prod server switches), inter subnet jumbo pinging works fine...

0 Kudos