VMware Cloud Community
w1ll1ng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vsphere 5.0 and management vmnic switch symptom

Hi,

I am evaluating vpshere 5.  I realized that even though I configure a vswitch and vmnic for management network, after I added the host to vCenter etc, on the console I see the management network had changed to one of the other vmnic which was assigned to iSCSI storage and on the other host it changed to a vMotion vmnic.  I can still access management on its subnet and also from the e.g iSCSI subnet.  I don't have managment traffic checked on the iSCSI and vMotion vswitches.  When I try to set the ip if the management network back to the vmnic on the console, I get Enable Management Network error, setting ip/ipv6 configuration failed. Anyone knows what may cause these symptoms?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
w1ll1ng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I reset hosts to defualt configuration, recreated networking and rebuilt cluster.  Management networks are now created as vSwitch0 this time as they were not vSwitch0 in previous config. Seems like having the Managemnt not as vSwitch0 on the hosts previously cause some unstability when I was using vCenter to manage the host.

0 Kudos
HughBorg707
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks for posting your progress! That helps others more than you might know.

0 Kudos
GoranTornqvist
Contributor
Contributor

Just a note:

Had the same issue as above.

In my case , the Management Traffic checkbox was checked for a vmkernel port that shouldn´t be used for management traffic. So I had multiple Management ports in a sense and ESXi choose the wrong one to be used.

I just unchecked the incorrect one this solved the problem.

(I also reset networking for another ESXi host, which was quite time consuming to reconfigure all the networking stuff...until I found this solution on another host in the cluster)

0 Kudos