VMware Cloud Community
yatharth
Contributor
Contributor

vsphere 4 and vsphere 5 host in same cluster

can i keep vsphere 4 & 5 hosts in same cluster? i tried but getting HA error - vsphere 5 HA agent cannot reach some of mgmt network addresses of other hosts.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, you can manage a vSphere4 Host and a vSphere5 Host in the same cluster.  However, in order to manage these hosts, you must be running vCenter5

0 Kudos
yatharth
Contributor
Contributor

I have vcenter5 only, wonder why i am getting this error.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

is there a particular error you are getting when trying to configure HA?

0 Kudos
yatharth
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, could not reply.

i am getting error as "cannot complete configuration of vsphere HA agent on host. Misconfiguration in host network setup, host can not reach some of the management addresses of other hosts". Today I figured out that this is due to the reason that there is no service console in vsphere5, though i read this many times earlier but this never came to my mind during configuration. In my ESX4 host service console is configured which is not there in ESXi5 hence i am getting network mismatch error. Need to figure out how to do this if i want to keep my ESX4 & ESXi5 host in same cluster.

Due to 2 filers in 2 networks ESX are configured as mentioned below

• service console1 - 192.168.1.x, Gateway - 192.168.1.1
  • service console2 - 10.10.19.x, Gateway -192.168.1.1
  • vmotion - 10.10.19.x, Gateway - 10.10.19.1
  • vkernel1 - 192.168.1.x, Gateway -10.10.19.1
  • vkernel2 - 10.10.19.x, Gateway -10.10.19.1

i vsphere5 since there in no service console port hence i end up having problem as there can be only single gateway(till now i have not been able to figure out if i can have different gateway).

as of now i can think of one solution to change config in all other esx4 host to have same gateway. kindly suggest.

0 Kudos
arturka
Expert
Expert

Hi

Would be easier if you could make a printscreen of netowrking config from one ESX and  one ESXi and post it

VCDX77 My blog - http://vmwaremine.com
0 Kudos
Techstarts
Expert
Expert

You cannot keep this configuration and enable HA. HA is written from ground up in 5.0. There are significant difference between these version as far as HA is considered.

With Great Regards,
0 Kudos
chilow
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried adding static routes to the ESXi 5.0 host?

0 Kudos