VMware Cloud Community
thepeoplesvalle
Contributor
Contributor

vsphere 4.1 vmtools missing rpm ?

After I upgraded our hosts to 4.1 I wanted to upgrade vmware tools, but I can't find the installation rpm ?

There are only 2 files listed on the cdrom (mounted using Guest -> Install/Upgrade VMware Tools)

-rrr-- 1 root root 1987 May 9 07:38 manifest.txt

-rrr-- 1 root root 90569985 May 9 07:38 VMwareTools-8.3.2-257589.tar.gz

I also downloaded VMware-tools-linux-8.3.2-257589.iso from download.vmware.com, but this iso image only has the .tar.gz file.

Any hints where I can find the rpm for the latest VMware Tools ?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

Have you checked in the package repository?

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
thepeoplesvalle
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks I have installed the openvm packages.

0 Kudos
heldstma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Starting with vSphere 4 Update 2 and vSphere 4.1, the mounted VMware Tools CD no longer comes with an .rpm installer. That installer has been depricated per the vSphere 4 Update 2 release notes. http://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere4/doc/vsp_esx40_u2_rel_notes.html#installation

The workaround is by gunzip -ing the tar.gz file, and then extracting the contents and running the extracted installer. This does automatically call the vmware-config-tools.pl script so that is nice.

0 Kudos
G3nius
Contributor
Contributor

Could you please elaborate and tell me how you run the extracted installer?

What is the path of it and how do I run it exactly...?

thanks a lot,

Omri

0 Kudos
heldstma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The first step is to mount the installer. Then, you need to copy the tar.gz file from the CDROM to your /tmp directory or somewhere else you can write to.

Next, you need to gunzip the tar.gz file to create a .tar file.

gunzip VMwareTools-buildnumber.tar.gz

That should create a file named like VMwareTools-buildnumber.tar

After that, you can extract the files. It should be something like tar -xf VMwareTools-buildnumber.tar

That will extract the files to /tmp

Look for the installer in the extracted file structure. This is off the top of my head. Let me know if you have issues, and I will see if I can try it out to give you better detail.

There should also be a readme file in there.

Matt

0 Kudos
jcwuerfl
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VMwareTools-8.3.2-257589.tar.gz sounds like the Workstation Tools. Don't install that one.

1) Right click on the VM, goto Guest, Install/Upgrade VMware tools.

2) That will mount a CDROM on the VM Guest with the VMwareTools*.tar..gz

3) Copy VMwareTools*.tar.gz to /tmp

4) cd /tmp

5) tar zxfv VMwareTools*.tar.gz

6) cd vmware-tools-distrib

7) ./vmware-install.pl --default

That should install the VMware tools for you.

Thanks

0 Kudos