VMware Cloud Community
someshrs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vsphere 4.1 installation on a laptop/desktop?

Hi,

In a lab environment, I want to install vsphere 4.1. Can you help with a particular model of laptop and desktop I can install vsphere 4.1 on?

Will a laptop/desktop with i5 processor work? Thanks....

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can get it to work with an i5 processor.  Take a look at vm-help.com or ultimatewhitebox.com for some systems that others have used.

Once you install ESX(i) onto the laptop or desktop, you'll need another Windows PC to run the management client (the vSphere client). ESX and ESXi have a limited management console so you won't be able to create and install guests without the vSphere client running on another PC.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can get it to work with an i5 processor.  Take a look at vm-help.com or ultimatewhitebox.com for some systems that others have used.

Once you install ESX(i) onto the laptop or desktop, you'll need another Windows PC to run the management client (the vSphere client). ESX and ESXi have a limited management console so you won't be able to create and install guests without the vSphere client running on another PC.

0 Kudos
Mouhamad
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello,

CPU will be fine, just make sure you have at least 8GB of memory so you can run the least number of machines required for a descent lab.

Regards,

VCP-DCV, VCP-DT, VCAP-DCD, VSP, VTSP
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community.

Yes Laptop with i5 processor and i7 processor is supported, processor with VT and VT-X enabled are supported, but may be the NICs on the desktop are not supported. Instead on of installing the esx(i) directly on the laptop.

Try installing windows on laptop or desktop and vmware workstation on top of it because vmware workstation has option to create ESX(i) on it.This way you can minimise your budget and also do better testing what ever you want.

Create 3 virtual machine as ESX1, ESX2 and 1 for Virtual Center. Make sure you have high memory like 8 GB+ or more on the desktop to do all you testing.

Refer the below link for short tutorial for installing ESXi on Vmware workstation

http://www.vladan.fr/installation-of-vmware-esxi-5-inside-of-vmware-workstation-8/

Award points for all the helpful and correct answers by clicking the below lab Smiley Happy

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0