VMware Cloud Community
ovdleun
Contributor
Contributor

vprobed - why is it / isn't it running? Need to know

Hi,

We've 6 vSphere5.1 clusters now, and while working with general hostprofiles, I noticed that on some clusters vprobed is started and configured to start with host, but on some other clusters it's stopped and set to manual start.

The only 'explaination' I can find is not clear to me.

vprobeda  utility for running the vProbe daemon. VProbes is a facility for  transparently instrumenting a powered-on guest operating system, its  currently running processes, and VMware's virtualization software.  VProbes provides, both dynamically and statically.

I search the internet and these forums, but no-one seems to know what it does. Someone replied on another thread about the explaination on what some services do with something like "some services are important and for the others you should not want to know what the do". Well ... when I can manually start/stop services, I surely DO want to know what they do!

So hopefully someone can explain in a better description what vprobed does, and if I should start or stop it.

Maybe someone from VMWare Support?

Thanks!

Onno.

2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Vprobes is a facility similar to dtrace.  It's generally used as a diagnostic tool.  I don't believe there are any standard services that depend upon it.

esxi1979
Expert
Expert

Any practical use of having this on ?

0 Kudos