VMware Cloud Community
NikitaSh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmware vm provisioned space

Hi community!

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I haven`t found the answer.

Trying to find out virtual machine`s size. I`ve provisioned 32GB in virtual machine`s settings and can see that virtual disks capacity is 34359738368 bytes what is equal 32GB.

I`m curious why vSphere client shows Used Storage = 35.98GB, and Provisioned Storage = 36.28GB, while in Virtual machine settings Maximum Size = 46.41GB(is that a space left on the datastore?).

Could you give me a clue? Thanks in advance!

VMware disk.jpg

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NetworkNerd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

One thing you have to remember is to account for the storage space used by the VM's .vswp file (which will be equal to the size of the RAM you have provisioned to the VM). This file allows swapping to disk in the event the host has been grossly overprovisioned with RAM.  That's 4 GB more space taken up in your datastore in addition to your VHD.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
NetworkNerd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

One thing you have to remember is to account for the storage space used by the VM's .vswp file (which will be equal to the size of the RAM you have provisioned to the VM). This file allows swapping to disk in the event the host has been grossly overprovisioned with RAM.  That's 4 GB more space taken up in your datastore in addition to your VHD.

NikitaSh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your answer!

And what does Maximum size (GB) =46.41 mean? Is that a space left on datastore?

0 Kudos
Prakas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Maximum size(GB) = size of the hard disk + amount of free space available in its respective datastore

NikitaSh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your help, guys!