VMware Cloud Community
GoodMorningDave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vmware tools upgrade

I have answered the request to upgrade vmware tools on two servers in 5 days.

server 1 main application won't start, missing failed dll. Vendor is working on that.

server 2 backup applicaiton won't start due missing failed dll.

Is there some problem not discussed re vmware tools upgrade?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
htwnrver
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We see this in our environment when upgrading from 3.5 to 4.0. The workaround that we use is to copy the msvcp71.dll file from c:\windows\system32 or c.\windows\syswow64 if it's a x64 guest. After the upgrade of the tools and reboot you can copy the file back if it is deleted. Search the forums for the dll name and you will find a few more posts about it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is there some problem not discussed re vmware tools upgrade?

all your ESX Hosts are at ESX4? I am unaware of any known issues upgrading guest tools on supported OS's

0 Kudos
GoodMorningDave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I moved a vm from a 3.5 to a 4.0 host.

It update the tools then.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I moved a vm from a 3.5 to a 4.0 host.

I would not update any tools until all your ESX Hosts are at the same build level. Having newer tools than the ESX Host its running on could cause issues. The VM's will be fine with old tools.

0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

VM Tools should now be upgraded prior to upgrading VM hardware version (i.e. from 4 to 7).

Also there are issues, always take a snapshot before running the upgrade! For example the upgrade breaks Avast!. Also if there is AV running in a high defence mode, it can render the VM unbootable.

Please award points to any useful answer.

htwnrver
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We see this in our environment when upgrading from 3.5 to 4.0. The workaround that we use is to copy the msvcp71.dll file from c:\windows\system32 or c.\windows\syswow64 if it's a x64 guest. After the upgrade of the tools and reboot you can copy the file back if it is deleted. Search the forums for the dll name and you will find a few more posts about it.

0 Kudos
GoodMorningDave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That's bad news.

I have a production sql server to move to a v4 server as it's the last one on 3.5.

This is really bad news.

:smileyshocked:

0 Kudos