VMware Cloud Community
mkbell
Contributor
Contributor

vmware.log too big

Hello Helpers,

I have a virtual machine with vmdk size of 40GB  on the data store i have a vmware.log size of 13GB. Inaddition this this log i have others prefix with number. Please reference the attached picture.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ScreamingSilenc

Hi, if you need to change log rotation and logging options you can do refer to this kb VMware KB:    Log rotation and logging options for vmware.log

You can customize the max log size and number of log rotation to retain.

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
0 Kudos
mkbell
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much for the information this would have resolve the issue but see below as my vsphere is 5.5

log.rotateSize = 186368

Note: log.rotateSize is not available for vmx use in certain versions of ESXi 5.1 and 5.5. Adding this option in the virtual machine configuration file (.vmx) file does not have any effect. For more information, see the Security section of the vSphere 5.1 Update 3 Release Notes.

0 Kudos
ScreamingSilenc

Which version of vSphere are you using ?

As it say "is not available for vmx use in certain versions of ESXi 5.1 and 5.5" may be it works for you

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
0 Kudos
mkbell
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.1.0 1743533

0 Kudos
cykVM
Expert
Expert

Are you probably running a Windows Terminal server or Citrix Xen in this VM?

Here's another discussion about log growing: Vmware Log files growing...can I remove\resize?

This referencing the follwing KB: VMware KB: Upgrading to VMware Tools 5.1 causes log spew with the message: Error in the RPC receive ...

I would possibly check what is actually logged there, maybe multiple warnings/errors lead to a solution.

0 Kudos
mkbell
Contributor
Contributor

Yes this server is running a Terminal server.

0 Kudos