VMware Cloud Community
beckham007fifa

vmware licenses

I have got licenses for 32 cpu for vmware esx4.0. I have to allocate this license to some server present in vcenter server and few server which are not present in vcenter server.

So, can i use same key for different servers. If yes then how this licensing works and how it knows that i have been used for 32 cpus...?

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Although this might be possible from a technical point of view, assigning the same license key multiple time would probably violate the license agreement. What you need to do is to split the license into multple license keys with the appropriate amount of CPU licenses. For the licenses assigned in the clustered environment, vCenter Server keeps track of the used licenses. For the other licenses it's up to you to keep track of the usage.

André

PS: Splitting and combining licenses can be done in the VMware portal

Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

You will need to "divide" the key out.  Once divided, you can license your standalone hosts with a unique single key.  From there you can "combine" the remaining keys and use them in vCenter.

All this needs to be done through your license portal

beckham007fifa

thanks for the quick responses. So, if by mistake i assign the license to multiple host will i get any messages/alerts? if yes how this mechanism would work?

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

no, will will not get any message, as long as it's a valid key.  But, do it the right way

0 Kudos
beckham007fifa

yes, I will do it in a right way. It just clicked my mind....Thanks guys, now I have to search for breaking the license keys from portal

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos