VMware Cloud Community
alvinaung
Contributor
Contributor

vmware esxi network adapter bridged wireless

Hi,

Currently i m running vmware esxi 6.5 on Dell 620 Server.

Due to some reason i can't connect this server to Internet.

I want to share my wireless access connection to ESXI.

In vmware work station i can do it.

Appreciate for you advise.

Regards

Alvin

12 Replies
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert

You are mixing some things here...

Connect this server to Internet? I mean, this is an hypervisor.

And then, you say you want to share your wireless access connection to ESXi...what?

ESXi hosts are configured with NICs (wired), I never saw a NIC with an antenna in a physical server neither an ESXi host.

What are you trying to achieve?

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

In Workstation you have 2 options:
- create a vmnet that is bridged to the WLAN-device of the hostOS - this will work for one OR more VMs
- attach a USB-WLAN-networkcard via USB directly to a single VM - this will work for a single VM only
In ESXi you would typocally use the second approach via USB.

0 Kudos
alvinaung
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

Currently VMware ESXI is running on Dell Server. In that ESXI Cisco Virl is running as one instance.

This VMware ESXI is connect to my laptop with eth0. My laptop connected office wifi guest.

I can't connect this ESXI to any switch or router. Because office policy but they let me put the server as stand lone for lab.

For Virl License to check i need internet access for VMware ESXI.

That why i want to share my laptop wifi to ESXI.

In Vmware workstation i can share wifi internet to instance.

Thanks again.

dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert

So, if the server is not connected to a network device, how do you expect to get any address?

Anyway, VMware workstation is a type 2 Hypervisor, meaning that, you have an OS running above the virtualization layer (VMware Worksation acts as the Hypervisor). Hence, you can share your network with VMs that you are hosting.

In the other hand, when you are running a type 1 Hypervisor. The Virtualization layer (Hypervisor) is running directly above the Hardware layer so, you can't share your internet access from your laptop obviously because you are in another device and not a part from the HW of this server.

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"
0 Kudos
alvinaung
Contributor
Contributor

Currently laptop and VMware ESXI directly connected with static IP.

Vmware workstation no issue i know how to bridge wireless network to wire.

Now i m trying to configure for VMware ESXI. 

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

As previously alluded to, stop trying to do crazy things with ESXi. It's not designed to network that way as it's an enterprise-class hypervisor, not a Windows tinkering tool. If your company doesn't allow ESXi directly connected to the network, then don't run it at work. That's really all that can be said.

0 Kudos
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert

And this is why I said that these are different types of Hypervisor and you can't share a bridge wireless network to another device because you are not hosting it! (like in VMware Workstation). Also, the hosts must be connected to the network not to share bridge and weird things like this...

0 Kudos
alvinaung
Contributor
Contributor

@daphnissov if you dont want to advise no problem. no need to say what i should not do. it's none of your business. i will only say STFU.

daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Please read the article in my signature. And when you post on a public forum asking to do things that a product isn't intended to do, users have every right to tell you you shouldn't be doing that based on their years of experience. If this isn't a response you like, you may want to avoid asking others for help.

0 Kudos
alvinaung
Contributor
Contributor

If i already know the issue why i have to ask in public forum. i already mention i don't know about it that why i asking, requesting, u don't need to criticize and you don't need to judge the people. You don't have that kind of rite.Because this forum is not own by your daddy.

And there's no rule as what can ask and what can't ask.

so very simple if you know and if you want to ans just do it.

if you don't want just leave it. so STFU.

dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert

The thing here is, what are you asking for.

You can't do what are you asking for and never saw/heard anything like that nor trying to do it.

Anyway, I asked you that this was impossible to do and there is no way you can share your wireless network.

And what daphnissov states is that, look at how to ask here: How To Ask For Help On Tech Forums

Just remember that we hope you do some research before starting to ask and it seems that, some points are missing here.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Guys - please keep this discussion civil.
If it goes on like this I will lock this thread.
Ulli