VMware Cloud Community
zeromachine
Contributor
Contributor

vmware-cmd setconfig missing

After upgrading to ESX 4, some automation I had in place stopped functioning.

Specifically, our esXpress backup software runs a command to change the displayName of several VMs so that special backup operations would kick in. I was simply using the vmware-cmd setconfig command to change the displayName.

After the upgrade to ESX 4 the vmware-cmd command no longer has a setconfig operation. I looked and the python scripts supporting it are gone. So ..

1) What happened to vmware-cmd setconfig?

2) What other method can I use to change a VM displayName via the service console (not remotely)? I've looked at the vimsh and it doesn't seem to support that particular operation.

Any insight/advice appreciated. I'd rather not sed the vmx file directly if I can avoid that.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

1) There's been few discussions around setconfig operation and per VMware afaik, vmware-cmd is a deprecated tool and I know certain functionality of the setconfig was fixed in the past but its an as-is tool and most likely if it doesn't work in ESX 4, it just wont' work

2) There's nothing in vimsh (vmware-vim-cmd) afaik that allows you to update the display name of a VM. The easiest way is to basically sed out the change via .vmx file and use vimsh to reload the configuration and of course the VM must be offline for this to actually take affect. The other is to unregister the VM and re-register and you can use vimsh to set the display name.

There's not many options on the Service Console but plenty more if you're willing to step outside of the SC and look at using vSphere API say with vSphere SDK for Perl or PowerCLI

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

Twitter: @lamw

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Comuunity

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

zeromachine
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the lightning fast response.

Unfortunately, none of that is going to work for me because esXpress is a service console based product today. I'll go back to PHD Virtual with my dilemma and see if there another method I can use to kick off these special backups.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yea I would get on PHD since you're paying for their product, their support team should be helping you out.

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

Twitter: @lamw

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Comuunity

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

As I mentioned when you came through support you can run the following esXpress command.

phd-cmd

And pass it the same syntax for setconfig as you did with vmware-cmd

Any other questions let us know.

Pete@esXpress

www.phdvirtual.com, makers of esXpress

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos