VMware Cloud Community
Syairus
Contributor
Contributor

vmware ESX 4.1.0 cant see existing datastore

Hi..

I have 3 esx 4.1 hosts connected to HP EVA 4400 StorageWork.  All host can see 6 datastore, LUN1 to LUN6, 1TB for each datastore.  Recently I add another esx 4.1 host but unfortunately this now host cant  see the existing datastore. I try to rescan the datastore many times  but still failed to see the datastore.

FYI I've already created new host using HP Command view for the new  esx host and present all 6 vdisk/LUN to the new host. I've also install  vmware-esx-drivers-scsi-bfa-400.2.1.1.1-1OEM.x86_64.rpm driver for FC  adapter (dual port), the same driver for another 3 esx hosts, but still  failed to see the datastore. What most probably the problem?

Does anybody face the same problem like this before? Please advice..

Rgds,

Syairus

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

Is that the new esxi host is provided with the access to all the 6Lun from the HP storage.

Also did you check the status of FC on the new esxi host, is the link is up or down.

use the below command to check the fc link is up or down.

esxcfg-scsidevs -l

Second the new esxi that is provided with the 6 existing LUN can be checked like this alos

esxcfg-volume -l

if nothing displays then its sure that the esxi is not able to see the 6 LUN.

make sure the right wwn number is provide to storage console to present those 6 luns to the new esxi,

Award points for the useful and correct answer by clicking the below tab Smiley Happy

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0
Syairus
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply. The FC link on the new esx is up. When I run esxcfg-scsidevs -l command on the new host it only detect internal disk and CD-ROM. I run the same command on another esx it show all the FC disk together with RAID controller. Is there anything that I misconfigured on the esx or just the matter of connectivity between esx and SAN storage?

How to make sure I enter/choose the correct WWN for the storage? where can I get the right WWN? when I add the new host using HP command view, i just choose Port WWN using the drop down box, which is unuse WWN that available on the SAN storage.

Rgds,

Syairus

0 Kudos
sebek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can check the wwn using vSphere Client under Configuration tab. When you go to the Storage Adaters in Hardware section you will probably see your storage adapters. Or using console in /proc/scsi/xxx/yyy, where xxx is qla or lpfc (depending of hba vendor) and yyy is the HBA number. Verify you are using correct wwns. Assuming you have zoned your SAN and masked your LUNs correctly, you should be able connect to your array.

In addition, check for errors on ports of your fc switch. It is possible you encountering the problems because of cable and/or gbic failure or soil.

sebek