VMware Cloud Community
Dashers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vmw_ahci I/O errors and corruption - 6.5 whitebox

I upgraded to 6.5 on my whitebox hypervisor system (Intel Sandy Bridge), I had been running a Marvel HBA storage adapter on community drivers, but looked forward to the return of native AHCI drivers in the form of vmw_ahci.

Alas, it wasn't to be, after a very short time I found VMs were getting I/O errors and after a bit longer I was in a position of having to recover vmdks from backup due to corruption.

It seems that people suffer from performance problems with this driver and VM's freezing, I don't think anybody has actually gone into the detail of why they're freezing.  I/O errors which can very easily lead to corruption of the file system.  I bought a Kaby Lake board to see if that worked any better, but the same problem was there with the driver and I can't disable vmw_ahci as Kaby Lake doesn't seem to have any other drivers yet - waste of £170!.

Has anybody been successful with unlisted AHCI controllers on 6.5?

Does anybody reckon VMware will do anything about this, or is 6.5 a no-go for me?  I think I might blow away the install and go to 6.0.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dashers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've managed to get over to the new hardware, but by using the community support AHCI VIB which uses the legacy driver.  I haven't noticed any corruption since moving away from vmw_ahci.

But I strongly recommend you do not run anything on the new driver.  Which is the default on any microserver - e.g. things that are using local SATA disks.

https://vibsdepot.v-front.de/wiki/index.php/Sata-xahci

It only says compatible with 6.0, but it seems to work fine with 6.5d.

I don't know how VMware consistently get AHCI so wrong given they had no problems back in 5.0.

0 Kudos
baiy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What's the model of your Marvell HBA?

You can try ESX 6.5 Update 1. The performance problem has been fixed in newer vmw_ahci driver.

Reference: NXHut - IT and Windows - News: Fix slow disk performance (vmw_ahci driver) in ESXi 6.5

0 Kudos