VMware Cloud Community
GregecSLO
Contributor
Contributor

vmtoolsd.exe CPU

Hello all!

We use mixed ESXi 4.1 and 5.0.

One some hosts vmtoolsd.exe CPU usage is constant from 4-10 %.

I don`t know when it started...

I tried loctdr /R, reinstall, issue is still here...

This happens on latest 4.1 ESX with latest tools installed (Typical install).

Server is 2003 32 bit domain controller and MSSQL server... Small enviroment, 5 users total...

Any idea?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
38 Replies
CTHarris
Contributor
Contributor

This forum question is showing in communities now as "possibly answered".  I don't consider it answered until VMWare Corp fixes the latest version of VMWare Tools, version 8.3.12 build-493255.

I was able to install the previous version of VMWare Tools over the weekend on one of these VM's that was running Windows SQL Server 2005 and after restarting SAP services so that the server was running as usual again, we noted that VMToolsd process CPU usage had dropped back to zero% average.  So we are in process of downgrading all SQL 2005 servers to the prior version of VM Tools, 8.3.2, build-257589.  That requires rebooting the VM.

The first time I downgraded, our virtual center automatically upgraded VM Tools again so I had to edit settings on the VM and go to the options tab and change VMWare Tools setting to unselect "Check and upgrade Tools during power cycling".

cth

0 Kudos
VIVector
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

same here:

VM Tools using 14% CPU after Tools update (ESX 4.1U2)

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1874146

Happens with Apache/Tomcat6 after a searchquery.

And with installed UltraVNC service.

VIVector

0 Kudos
GregecSLO
Contributor
Contributor

We do not use VNC or Apache/Tomcat...

Where we use IIS, there is no problems at all...

Guess this is major trouble for vmware users...

0 Kudos
stewy00122
Contributor
Contributor

FYI..

Same deal vmtoolsd.exe stuck at 14-15% CPU after upgrading to the lastest vmtool build on serveral WinXPs.   Downgrading vmtools everything works fine.

For those that are still using Novell Netware, we found it was Zen Workstation service that was conflcting with vmtoolsd.exe, once we disable that service and rebooted vmtoolsd.exe stayed flat 0% cpu Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
CTHarris
Contributor
Contributor

I downgraded VMWare Tools on several SQL 2005 VM servers last night too.  All were running at around 8% average CPU use prior to the downgrade and all went to zero % average CPU use after.

Has anyone heard anything from VMWare Corp about fixing this problem in latest VMWare Tools (version 8.3.12 build-493255)?  When you're running 30-50 VM's on a host, that could add up to a great deal of CPU time wasted on VMWare tools spinning its wheels, depending on how many are running database.

cth

0 Kudos
CTHarris
Contributor
Contributor

I've opened a support ticket with VMWare Corp on this now.  The technician said VMWare engineers are already working on it and will likely need to do another new release of VMWare Tools.  It may be a while though.  So downgrade to the prior version (8.3.2 build-257589) to prevent VMTools excessive CPU utilization on database virtual servers.

cth

0 Kudos
GregecSLO
Contributor
Contributor

OK great, I`ve heard same info Smiley Happy

So we have to wait for new patch...

0 Kudos
melay
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here on a virtualized VCenter (tomcat SQL Server Express triggers the issue)

Fixed by reverting to VMware Tools 8.3.7-434937 (seems to be the last release before 8.3.12).

http://packages.vmware.com/tools/esx/4.1p03/windows/x86/VMware-tools-windows-8.3.7-434937.iso

0 Kudos
GregecSLO
Contributor
Contributor

Hiho!

Doeas anybody have and info on when this should be fixed?

Regards,

Greg

0 Kudos
GregecSLO
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys&gals!

VmWare released new patch for ESX 4.1.

Can anyone confirm that it does resolve vmtools CPU spikes?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
GregecSLO
Contributor
Contributor

Well I have upgraded my 3 hosts, vmware tools said that update was not necesarry, and problem is STILL here.

WTH, 2 months without solution?

Support says that they know about the issue and are saying this for 2 months now...

0 Kudos
ReiJon
Contributor
Contributor

I agree. No change upgrading to 582267. CPU-problem still present.

0 Kudos
bobalob
Contributor
Contributor

Add me to the list, 6, 2003, x64, MSSQL/SAP servers all getting the same issue, upgrading hosts to the latest patch level does not resolve. Downgrade of VM tools fixes the issue.

0 Kudos
VBDINO
Contributor
Contributor

I have also this problem since upgrading from 3.5 to 4.1 U2. VMWare tech support says to wait for U3 in a couple of months, meanwhile, using previous vmtools version is the solution.

But until the update 3 gets out, how do you check for VM that would suddenly start experiencing the problem?

After the upgrade, we found one VM with the behavior and then found 5 others out of about 100 VM. What I don't know if the problem either exist now and allways or never. Will VM start having the problem in one month?

How do you deal with that possibility?

0 Kudos
Targray
Contributor
Contributor

Add me to the list too - noticed this problem after upgrading from 3.5 to 4.1 U2.  VMtools build# 559003 still has the problem, and I can confirm that it's directly related to MSSQL (the vmtoolsd.exe process drops to 0% CPU when I stop the MSSQL service, and jumps right back up to 8% when I start it)

Reverting back to VMtools build 434937 resolves the problem...

0 Kudos
joebrug
Contributor
Contributor

Can someone describe the "downgrading" process from VMware Tools version 8.3.12, build-493255?  I fired up the 434937 iso and it complains that a newer version already exists.  Is it as simple as Add/Remove > Uninstall and reinstall or could that cause issues?

Thanks

0 Kudos
nielse
Expert
Expert

Normally it wouldn't, just uninstall & re-install the old version.

@nielsengelen - http://foonet.be - VCP4/5
0 Kudos
sogescojg
Contributor
Contributor

I have the latest updates on my host and I'm experiencing CPU spikes on one VM, which is Windows 2008 x64.

I reinstalled the vmware tools a couple of weeks ago, and had sucess, but cpu spike are back.

Every spikes hangs the VM for 1 or 2 seconds.

It's a bit annoying since it's an Remote Desktop Server.

If anyone as a solution for this... please post it.

How do I activate the log files of vmtoolsd ?  I did not find the files tools.conf

Jean

0 Kudos
ReiJon
Contributor
Contributor

The CPU-rate seems to have been fixed now. With the update april/may 2012. Tools version 8.3.12 build 653202.

0 Kudos