VMware Cloud Community
verto
Contributor
Contributor

vmotion network

i have 2 vmotion network. one vmotion with managemet network ( enable) . second vmotion network with one nic ( separate network) . now i want to learn that if one vm vmotion another host. which vmotion network work. how i can select default vmotion network ? which use vmotion network ?

thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I would recommend to use a dedicated nic for vMotion traffic. Disable vMotion on management network.

-Suresh
0 Kudos
joshopper
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You should not configure vMotion like that... If you want multiple vMotion networks follow this guide -

VMware KB: Multiple-NIC vMotion in vSphere

0 Kudos
verto
Contributor
Contributor

i have 4 nic what is best practices ?

0 Kudos
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

If you have 4 physical nics and if you want to use all 4 nics for vMotion, the same KB linked by joshopperjoshopper applies.

It is just that you have to create 4 different vmkernel ports with different IPs and have only 1 physical nic associated with it.

VMware KB: Multiple-NIC vMotion in vSphere

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
verto
Contributor
Contributor

i have just 4 nic and i have 4 hosts . now i will create esxi 5.5. cluster. what is bet practives . management port 1 nic vmotion 1 nic virtual machine 2 nic bla bla or ? how i can best desing ?

0 Kudos
Paltelkalpesh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

AS per the best practice, following rules should be follow.

Keep separate ESXi or ESX management traffic from other traffic (vMotion, FT, virtual machine) Avoid SPOF (Single Point Of Failure) – redundant physical switches

vMotion traffic should go through not routed (separate IP subnet) network, due to security reasons (vMotion traffic is not encrypted).

vMotion traffic needs 1Gbps connection.

Storage (NFS, iSCSI) traffic should be isolated from other type of traffic on physical level (separate pNIC and vLAN_ID).

Storage traffic need at least 1Gbps connection to give enough throughput and low latency to storage

kindly go through below link for setup best infrastructure with 4 NIC

Networking configuration for ESX or ESXi - Part 1 - VMwaremine - Artur Krzywdzinski | Nutanix

0 Kudos
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

you can use 2 nics in 1st vSwitch, have separate vLANs for management and vMotion. get both nics trunked with the vLANs.

Use the next 2 nics in 2nd vSwitch for Production vm networks.

This will give you redundancy.

check the link

vSphere 5.5 Documentation Center

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos