VMware Cloud Community
dkraut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vmotion in 5.1 to different cluster - vm powered on/off?

Been searching for something definitive, but so far no luck...  anyone aware of a vsphere 5.1 vmotion capability guide?  Specifically want to understand if it's possible to vmotion from one cluster to another without powering down vm's?    

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mcrape
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am assuming that it isn't on shared storage.

This tidbit from VMware vSphere 5.1 might be relevant to what you are looking for:

In vSphere 5.1 and later, vMotion does not require environments with shared storage. This is useful for performing cross-cluster migrations, when the target cluster machines might not have access to the source cluster's storage. Processes that are working on the virtual machine continue to run during the migration with vMotion.

0 Kudos
edsontr
Contributor
Contributor

Yes you can do that with a VM powered on but clusters must have access to the same datastore and also vMotion network should be streched between clusters.

0 Kudos
Sreekanth45
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

You can refer the below link for "vMotion VM between vSphere clusters"

http://vmwaremine.com/2012/10/21/vmotion-vm-between-vsphere-clusters/#sthash.wcpSZ3Ug.dpbs

0 Kudos
JasonHC
Contributor
Contributor

I believe you would need to use the web client as well as that is where the ability to migrate hosts and datastores simultaneously while powered on is enabled.  The thick client can migrate both but only while powered off.

0 Kudos
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert

Hello,

Yes, you can vMotion between clusters provided we have shared storage and compatible CPU family for these two hosts. Also, vMotion network must be appropriately configured between these hosts.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

0 Kudos
Noor2122
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I have done this couple of time so i can confirm, yes you can vMotion VMs from one cluster to another without powering down. 

- Noor Mohammad
0 Kudos