VMware Cloud Community
vmb01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vmotion from internal standard switch

I'm using a vsphere 6.0 and I noticed that can vmotion a VM connected to an internal standar switch (vswitch without physical nic connected) without any warning or error.

It's really strange, in the manual I read:

By default, you cannot use vMotion to migrate a virtual machine that is attached to a standard switch with no physical uplinks configured, even if the destination host also has a no-uplink standard switch with the same label.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichardBush
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

ok, so it looks like its def a issue with the documentation then.

I guess its either very old information thats been carried through, or a very old mistake that should say some like "Unless the destination host also has a no-uplink standard switch with the same label."

Rich

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I didn't try this myself yet, but vSphere 6.0 introduced a couple of enhancements for vMotion, so I think it's more of a documentation issue rather than a technical one.

André

0 Kudos
RichardBush
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thats strange, when i tested this i get the expected error "Currently connected network interface "Network Adapter 2" uses "NoPhyUp", which is not accessible. (NoPhyUP is my internal standard switch)

VM version 11, Host Version 6.0.0 2494585, from the vsphere C# client.

Rich

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

... from the vsphere C# client.

I assume that's related to the fact that new features are only added to the Web Client. Did you already try this using the Web Cleint?

André

0 Kudos
RichardBush
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

From the Webclient it would always work, as you are now prompted for the destination network for each NIC.

Any unavailable networks on the destination host default to the first in the list, so you have to accept that the network will change, *shown in the attach, so its more of a change than the ability to vmotion internal networks.

0 Kudos
vmb01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm doing it with host  esxi 6.0.0 2494585 and vcenter 6.0 2559267 and I can vmotion the VM connected to the internal switch with the old Windows client and with the new web client.

0 Kudos
RichardBush
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

thats interesting, what network is the vm connected to on the destination host ?

Rich

0 Kudos
vmb01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

On the portgroup internal of the setination host

0 Kudos
RichardBush
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Are they named the same on each host ? Cause if so I would have expected that to work, AFAK it's just the name that's checked, if there isnt a matching name on the remote it will fail in C#, and ask you to select the network you want to connect it to in the web client.

0 Kudos
vmb01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Richard the doc says: you cannot use vMotion to migrate a virtual machine that is attached to a standard switch with no physical uplinks configured, even if the destination host also has a no-uplink standard switch with the same label.

0 Kudos
RichardBush
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

This may be true, how ever you have been able to vmotion vm's with local standard switch with no uplinks since at least 5.5 assuming they have the same name.

So d id suggest the document is incorrect, unless config.migrate.test.CompatibleNetworks.VMOnVirtualIntranet is already set to false in your environment. ?

Rich

0 Kudos
RichardBush
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The same statement is present in the 5.x documentation so I assume its just old text.

VMware vSphere 5.1

Rich

0 Kudos
vmb01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It seems that the parm config.migrate.test.CompatibleNetworks.VMOnVirtualIntranet  doesen't exist in vsphere6

0 Kudos
RichardBush
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

ok, so it looks like its def a issue with the documentation then.

I guess its either very old information thats been carried through, or a very old mistake that should say some like "Unless the destination host also has a no-uplink standard switch with the same label."

Rich

0 Kudos