VMware Cloud Community
michaeldaly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

'vmnic0: false hang' - Intel i210 network card on ESXi 7.0U3g

am seeking help in troubleshooting network connectivity.
The host, running ESXi 7.0.U3g, is not accessible via vSphere or remotely via ssh.
From the shell on the direct console, only the gateway, not any other LAN devices, are pingable.

In syslog the following cryptic message* appears every 5 minutes or so, which is the only real clue, suggesting theres a problem with the intel i210 network card (which however is on the compatibility list):

023-01-27T13:51:06.227Z cpu6:524714) igbn: igbn_CheckRxHang:1415: vmnic0: false hang detected on RX queue U

Have done the following checks (all via shell access on the console):

• manually setting DNS to the gateway
  • ensuring the latest network card driver and hardware compatibility (refer Photos of console command output ie vid did svid & ssid all match up)
  • Configuring the NIC to auto-negotiate speed and duplex settings (esxcfg-nics vmnic0 -a)
  • following advice in this reference https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1003409 , although the ESXi host is not part of a vCenter Server. Its standalone
  • disabling the firewall (then reenabling)
  • restarting the host daemon /etc/init.d/hostd restart
  • restarting networking

There is one other post here
https://communities.vmware.com/t5/ESXi-Discussions/Strange-Ethernet-error-that-I-can-t-find-any-info... but it was some time ago

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
M.
*edit - in vmkernel.log (as accessible from the console)
edit2- updated to esxi 8.0.0 but still getting the message, though now have network connectivity. I noticed that was restored after I uninstalled ghettoVCB whilst still in 7.0U3g (due to an update incompatibility)

0 Kudos
3 Replies
maksym007
Expert
Expert

Try via DCUI to mark all your vnics as a vmkernel. And try to login. 
After that you should be able to identify which is defective. 

0 Kudos
michaeldaly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks, I am not sure how to do that, but i've upgraded to esxi 8 which has an updated igbn driver.

Networking has been restored although the message persists.

0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

check in google DCUI console - how to reach it

0 Kudos