VMware Cloud Community
TryllZ
Expert
Expert

vmnic0 deleted, now restored but VMs inaccessible..

Hi,

I have an ESXi server on 10.78.78.2, and some VMs running on the ESXi which is added to the vCenter.

The ESXi has 2 vmnics, vmnic0 (management) on Uplink1 and vmnic1 (unused) on Uplink 2.

I mistakenly deleted vmnic0 from the vCenter GUI, and lost connectivity to the ESXi, then I restored connectivity by reassigning vmnic0 to the ESXi using BASH shell.

Currently, vmnic1 is on Uplink1 and vmnic0 is on Uplink2

Now the VMs are accessible from the console within the ESXi Web GUI interface, but I can't access them via their IP addresses.

I tried de-registering and then registering them again, it did not help.

Any thoughts on how to get the VMs accessible via IP again.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

you should check the Virtual Switch and if the VMs are still connected to the Portgroup on the switch...

0 Kudos
lucasbernadsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Try! Can you test your management network in ESXi? https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.7/com.vmware.esxi.install.doc/GUID-0CDC0898-34C2-4DF5-B7...

Also, try rebooting one of the VMs. Maybe there is a stuck process for VM traffic. Check how the uplinks are configured for those portgroups

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Please, check your dvswitch configuration
check if you can change vmnic0 to Uplink0 and vmnic1 to uplink1
also, another test you can make is to disconnect and re connect the vnics of the VMs.

Warm regards

0 Kudos
TryllZ
Expert
Expert

TryllZ_0-1605622918337.png

This is the Portgroup showing connection to the uplinks.

Currently I can ping all interfaces from the box server to the VMs, none of the VMs can ping any interface outside the box server, they can't ping their gateway either, every VMs gateway is the same, 10.78.78.1.

The box server which is 10.78.78.2 can ping all interfaces, both outside and inside.

0 Kudos
TryllZ
Expert
Expert

When I change uplink 1 back to vmnic0 and uplink 2 back to vmnic 1, and save, it shows as saved but when I open the settings back again, they are back to uplink 1 with vmnic1.

This is a regular vswitch not dvswitch.

0 Kudos
TryllZ
Expert
Expert

Just that the ESXi is connected to vCenter, should I disconnect it from the vCenter and try a reboot, nothing seems to be working at the moment ?

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Can you share vswitch and portgroup settings?

I think you set up a vlan tag on VM network and there is none configured on the network. 

0 Kudos
TryllZ
Expert
Expert

TryllZ_0-1605625698096.png

TryllZ_1-1605625788910.png

TryllZ_2-1605625842575.png

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Can you please check if VM Network portgroup has any vlan configured? else, please configure vlan 0 for it. 

0 Kudos
TryllZ
Expert
Expert

VM Network Portgroup is already on VLAN 0..

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Okay, let me keep digging:

are vmnic0 and vmnic1 physically connected?
What happens if you switch vmnic1 with vmnic0 as the active uplink?

Are the vmnics connected to all the vms?

If you check the ports on the vSwitch, does it show that the ports are linked?

0 Kudos
TryllZ
Expert
Expert

Yes both vmnic0 and vmnic1 are physically connected to the box server, and also to the vSwitch.

When I change Uplink1 to vmnic0 and vmnic1 to Uplink2 in the vSwitch settings and save, ESXi server shows as settings saved, but when I reopen the vSwitch settings it reverts back to Uplink1 on vmnic1 and Uplink2 and vmnic0.

I changed the both vmnic0 and vmnic1 to active but that didn't help.

I couldn't find where to attach the vmnic to the VM's as in the settings I can only see as below.

TryllZ_1-1605628131807.png

Sorry when you say linked, what do you mean, linked how ?

0 Kudos
TryllZ
Expert
Expert

Thanks @nachogonzalez, and everyone,

Got this working, for the VM Management Network vmnic0 was Unused, and vmnic1 was Standby, Enabled NIC Teaming, and changed vmnic0 to Active and moved it up in the NIC Teaming table.

Thanks again..

0 Kudos