VMware Cloud Community
iliketurtles
Contributor
Contributor

vmnet - workstation? Able to use WebClient or VSphere

I have installed vCenter and have 2 esxi 5.5 vsphere Hosts.

Following a document of how to configure certain functions like HA, Shared Storage and vMotion.

I created all my VMs from vSphere 5,5, 4 VMs on on host and 2 VMs on other. I only two one Network adapter per Host. I just got two additional network adapters so I assume I can create a new vmnet and vswitch on each host now so will two 2 vmnet and two vSwitches.

My question is looking at the how-to guides when using HA, Shared Storage (iSCSI and NFS) and vMotion they are saying to create a new vmnet adapter and a new switch but I don't know how I can do this if only on vSwitch and they have 4 vmnets ( I can't simply buy 4 adapters that would be annoying)? I see I can create a new vmkernel but get confused as they are all on the same vSwitch0. Reviewing documentation I think I could create vmnets using workstation but understand the concept as why can't I do the same thing using either vCenter or vSphere. How can I create these new vSwitches and vmnets if I don't have workstation and only 1 adapter per host? I understand you don't want all the traffic in production on the same network but in my lab I really don't care if I have all this function on the same switch. Hopefully I was somewhat clear. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!

I tried to get workstation working but couldn't connect to the VMs, assuming I get Workstation to work, do I need to create on a VM on each host using vSphere and install workstation on each?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
rameuniver
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you ask the question more precisely? Do you want to build home lab? Then better go for nested visualization so that you can have more network adapters.

0 Kudos