VMware Cloud Community
maialen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmkernel iSCSI subnet for direct attached storage

Hi,

I have two esxi 6.0 host that I want to connect to a shared storage through iSCSI. I have followed this technical paper http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/vmware-multipathing-configuration-software-iSCSI-port-bind... to configure the iSCSI interfaces on the esxi host with port binding. No problem there.

I am using HP MSA 2040 with a dual controller and I will connect both hosts directly to the shared storage. As to the hardware, following the best practices documents there is a recomendation to follow a vertical subneting for the controllers ports. However I haven't found any requirement as to the iSCSI ports in vmware, all the examples I've found set up each vmkernel port in a different subnet like I've done:

vSwitch0

iSCSI1 - vmk2 - 192.168.1.11 (vmk3 unused)

iSCSI2 - vmk3 - 192.168.2.11 (vmk2 unused)

So, my question is should vmkernel ports be in different subnets? or could they be in the same subnet without any difference performance wise?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

in your case, since you are trying to achieve multipathing with software iSCSI initiator, both the vmkernel ports should be in same subnet.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

in your case, since you are trying to achieve multipathing with software iSCSI initiator, both the vmkernel ports should be in same subnet.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
FritzBrause
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
maialen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks!