VMware Cloud Community
architects
Contributor
Contributor

vmhba lost with no errors logged

Hi,

We have a ESX cluster with 3 IBM HS22 hosts. One of the hosts (single FC HBA card with 2 storage ports) suddenly lost both the HBA's. Now i see only the local LSI logic card to which the local drives are connected and my vmhba1 & 2 are gone.

I tried rebooting the host and went into the BIOS, i did check the hba's there and scanned them...the LUNs and everything is displaying fine there but when i boot the hsot it doesnt scan those lun's or find the 2 hba's for some reason.

I have made no configuratio change and everything was working fine. I just moved this host from a cluster to another one...that's the only change.

Any ideas anyone?

Regards,

A

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Is it ESX or ESXi that you're using? I would suggest accessing the console or TSM and running lspci to verify if ESX(i) is able to see the hardware . For ESXi also check /var/log/messages. As you look through messages after a reboot you should see a portion of the log file that records the VMkernel enumerating the hardware devices in your host and loading devices for them. It would be worthwhile to load a diagnotics CD and run a hardware check on the blade. You may have a faulty HBA.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
architects
Contributor
Contributor

Dave,

i do see the HBA's with lspci but dont see them in the VC on the host "storage adapters" tab.

When i reboot the host and if i go to the BIOS i can see the hba's as well as the LUNs but when the ESX starts loading it does not show me the devices loading.

I am attaching thre output so that we are clear.

Regards,

A

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If you run lspci -p do you see a module listed for the HBA? Did you have to add any drivers to the install to get support for the HBA?

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
architects
Contributor
Contributor

Dave,

I resolved it by loading the QLA module again....working fine now..

Thanks!

0 Kudos
architects
Contributor
Contributor

Oh...i rebooted the host and got the same problem again....its somehow not scanning and loading my HBA's and related modules.

Everytime i reboot i have to do vmkload_mod qla2xxx - To load the module and then it works fine.

Isnt there a way to make this permanent and load it with each esx boot everytime. Works fine for the other hosts though...

Anyone seen that before?

Regards,

A

0 Kudos
architects
Contributor
Contributor

Issue resolved by fixing the boot load parameters of the HBA driver.

Regards,

A

0 Kudos