VMware Cloud Community
GregAtNavico
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmfs does not see extent devices?

I have run into an issue with my ESX 4 deployment.  I recently extended the size of a LUN within my SAN so that I could extend the Datastore associated with that volume.  The datastore recognizes the new size of 300 GB (image vmfs_prop), however, I am not presented with any options for an extent device when I try to "increase datastore capacity" (image vmfs_increase).  I've also updated the vmfs filter in advanced options thinking this LUN was already associated with the datastore and may have been filtered out (image vmfs_filter).  Any advice?

vmfs_prop.jpg

vmfs_increase.jpg

vmfs_filter.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What I meant with "connect to the ESX(i) host directly" was to connect to it using the vSphere Client. Usually you don't need to use the command line. Did you try this before growing the datastore from the command line? Didn't it work?

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

I assume you tried to grow the datastore while connected to the vCenter Server! In most cases such an issue can be worked around by connecting to an ESX(i) host directly.

André

GregAtNavico
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Service console did the trick - found this helpful article which walked me through it:  http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&externalId=1009125

Any idea as to why VCenter can't accommodate this?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It is available from vCenter. There are situations where it is not available.

This is for 4.1 but applies to 4.0 as well.

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-esxi-4-1-embedded/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=server_confi...

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
GregAtNavico
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

David Stavert wrote:

It is available from vCenter. There are situations where it is not available.

This is for 4.1 but applies to 4.0 as well.

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-esxi-4-1-embedded/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=server_confi...

Thanks David.  Yes, that is where I started and it didn't work in my situation as no extent devices were presented.

I am wondering why it doesn't work in VCenter but does work in System Console.  Or rather, why you have to use System Console to expand the volume.

Anyway, at least the System Console did resolve my issue.

Thanks all!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What I meant with "connect to the ESX(i) host directly" was to connect to it using the vSphere Client. Usually you don't need to use the command line. Did you try this before growing the datastore from the command line? Didn't it work?

André

0 Kudos
GregAtNavico
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

André Pett wrote:

André

Andre - That was it!!!!  As you noted, instead of logging into the Vcenter Server with the VSphere Client, I logged into one of my hosts (using the root user / pw for that host) with the Vcenter client and then the system presented the Extent Devices!

Thank you!

Cheers,

Greg

0 Kudos
Jodi201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can anyone explain why the vCenter server does not see the extents, but the individual servers do?

0 Kudos