VMware Cloud Community
iffarrukh
Contributor
Contributor

vmdk does not get deleted after storage vmotion

Hi

I have filesystem corruption in one datastore so I moved all machines to other datastore so that I can recreate filesystem. After storage vmotion machines are working fine but in previous datastore I still find some vmdk whcih has been copied/moved to other datastore but have not deleted .. looks like a copy of vmkd of transferred machines........ vmotion copied to new datastore and did not delete that one...

Any ideas how to figure out why those vmdk are still there??

Sam

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MartinT80
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Sam,

Are the datastores using NFS?  If so, it may be worth checking the permissions on the storage side to make sure the ESXi servers can delete those files.

0 Kudos
mwpreston
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are you able to delete these files manually?  or does a host have a lock on them...?  I've seen svmotion leave some garbage around before and just removed it manually but be very careful and be sure that they are not in use....may make sense to just move them first to see if your environment is still stable..

0 Kudos
mwpreston
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I think (as far as i can remember) when i had the vMA shutting down the VM's I did not have to put a script inside the guests to initiate a shutdown...I thought it just worked, however I wasn't using the official APC software to shut the VMs down, I was using the ghettoshutdown scripts....I don't recall anywhere in the documentation for the APC software either about putting a script in the guests...but, as long as you have it working as expected and to your liking your good!  There's 50 ways to do everything...

0 Kudos