VMware Cloud Community
a_sand
Contributor
Contributor

vmWare and VLANs troubles

Hello community!

Previously I have absolutely flat network structure with wide network mask /21. All services are worked fine except  of some network freezes

Recently I have implemented VLANs to optimize my network. Today I have some serious problems with services accessability.

My network and vmWare topology:

* host1 -> vSwitch0 -> vmKernel Network (VLAN 150) + VM Network (VLAN 50) -> phisical NIC -> phisical switch 1

* host2 -> vSwitch0 -> vmKernel Network (VLAN 150) + VM Network (VLAN 50) -> phisical NIC -> phisical switch 2

* host3 -> vSwitch0 -> vmKernel Network (VLAN 150) + Multi VLAN Network (VLAN 4095) -> phisical NIC -> phisical switch 3

All phisical switch ports configured as vlan trunk (in D-Link terminology)

Switches connected as: sw1 -> sw2, sw1 -> sw3

On the host 3 there is VM ("router") that worked as software router (pfSense). pfSense serves several (about 20) VLANs over LAN interface. This VM connected via one vNIC (LAN interface) to "Multi VLAN Network"  and via another vNIC to some another "WAN" connection (not meanfull at this time).

On the host 1 there is 2 VMs: some "VM1" (SUSE SLES11 server) and "NFS1" (SLES11 acting as NFS server)

On the host 2 there is 2 another  VMs: some "VM2" (SUSE SLES11 server) and "NFS2" (SLES11 acting as NFS server)

VM1, VM2, NFS1, NFS2 - connected to "VM Network" and has IP from within one IP range. Default gateway on all VMs points to my "router"

Now.... VM1 can ping VM2, NFS1 and NFS2 (all of VMs can ping each other).

But VM1 can connect to NFS shares only on NFS1 server and VM2 only to NFS2.

If I move VM1 to host2 then VM1 can connect to NFS2 but not to NFS1. Also - if VM2 moved to host1 then VM2 can connect to NFS1 and not to NFS2.

If all VMs moved to one host then all VM can connect to each other.

Why VMs can't fully communicate between hosts?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

To me this sounds like some sort of firewall/filtering on, or between the D-Link switches.

André

0 Kudos
a_sand
Contributor
Contributor

There is no any filtering.

0 Kudos
a_sand
Contributor
Contributor

The problem is resolved with cooperation with D-Link support.

0 Kudos