VMware Cloud Community
jrmunday
Commander
Commander

vmStatsProvider - Event ID 256 / 258

Has anyone seen these event log entries on virtual windows servers - they seem to be floooding the application logs.

Where do they come from, what do they mean and can I stop them from being logged without missing any important information?

Log Name:      Application
Source:        vmStatsProvider
Date:          17/07/2013 09:02:06
Event ID:      258
Task Category: Guest Library API
Level:         Information
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:     
Description:
The "vmGuestLibrary" is successfully initialized for this Virtual Machine.

Log Name:      Application
Source:        vmStatsProvider
Date:          17/07/2013 09:02:06
Event ID:      256
Task Category: General
Level:         Information
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:     
Description:
The "vmStatsProvider" is successfully initialized for this Virtual Machine. WMI namespace: "root\cimv2".

** I've just noticed that they seem log every 30 minutes.

vExpert 2014 - 2022 | VCP6-DCV | http://www.jonmunday.net | @JonMunday77
Tags (1)
8 Replies
ScreamingSilenc

Can you mention Host ESXi version used to host the VM and on which Guest OSs you hit this issues? along with service package if any.

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

you need to do one of the following: 1. Disable WMI from being used by whatever external source is probing it, or 2. Uninstall the VMware Tools from the effected VMs, then reload them using a "Custom Installation" and UNCHECK the "WMI Performance Logging" option under the "Guest SDK" section.

0 Kudos
ScreamingSilenc

Similar issue is been discussed in this thread can you check and update

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/243899?start=0&tstart=0

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
0 Kudos
jrmunday
Commander
Commander

Thanks for the information.

I found the cause - the events are generated by NetApp OnCommand Balance monitoring the end-to-end performance of the VM's to storage.

vExpert 2014 - 2022 | VCP6-DCV | http://www.jonmunday.net | @JonMunday77
jroback
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for this, but I don't think this is really a solution... unless I'm mistaken, this is just removing the VMWare Tools WMI counters... so it won't generate these events anymore, but it also won't give the WMI counter responses anymore.  I think the solution folks are looking for is a way to use WMI to query these counters but not generate the event log spew..

0 Kudos
adrian1074
Contributor
Contributor

you need to do one of the following: 1. Disable WMI from being used by whatever external source is probing it, or 2. Uninstall the VMware Tools from the effected VMs, then reload them using a "Custom Installation" and UNCHECK the "WMI Performance Logging" option under the "Guest SDK" section.

What an absolutely stupid answer.

jr33333
Contributor
Contributor

Wondering if this ever got fixed, I've been removing WMI from all our templates for quite some time, but before i go testing it again.... would be nice to see if it ever got fixed.   Seems weird that they'd continue development on WMI monitoring if it's essentially unusuable because calling it generates log spew.  But I haven't seen any mention of it in the VMware Tools release notes all the way through 10.2.5.   (By the way big YAY! for starting to generate release notes frequently on vmware tools!)