VMware Cloud Community
Domyos
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vm's running very slow

Hello,

so i am learning about ESXi, and i have it running in a VMware workstation environment but whenever i try to install a VM(in this case a ubuntu 32 bit) it is just really slow, like only changing pixel per pixel it seems like.

here's an example: Gyazo - 11b915eeb894edfaca3aa00c5be0264d.gif

Is there anyone that knows a fix for this?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Domyos
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I managed to fix the issue after a long time of googling.

Apparently my virus scanner(avast) was working against workstation for some reason.

I removed it and it started working normally.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DavoudTeimouri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

When you have installed ESXi on VMware Workstation or any other virtualization platform, you have added an additional virtual layer.

It will cause of some performance issue. Also when you are using mechanical disks such as slow desktop disks, it will cause of some performance issue as well.

Put your ESXi's datastore on fast disks such as SSD and assign enough resources to ESXi virtual machine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Davoud Teimouri - https://www.teimouri.net - Twitter: @davoud_teimouri Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/teimouri.net/
0 Kudos
Gidrakos
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

What kind of environment are you trying to run this in, what are the specs of the machine you're running Workstation on, and what are the specs of the virtual machine that you've given to it?

VMs take up quite a few resources, and it seems like your host machine isn't coping too well with running a Virtual OS on top of it's existing OS.

0 Kudos
Tomkan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Looking to your GIF, there can be an issue refreshing VM console viewer you are using.  Could you connect to your VM using VNC or another way? (Another possible reason : Too litle memory assigned to VM causes massive swapping inside VM)

0 Kudos
Domyos
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I managed to fix the issue after a long time of googling.

Apparently my virus scanner(avast) was working against workstation for some reason.

I removed it and it started working normally.

0 Kudos