VMware Cloud Community
ameravi75
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vm's on esxi 5 free auto shut down?

Hello - I installed esxi 5 free on a home server I am currently using.  I currently have 2 vm's installed on this host and the virtual machines seem to shut themselves off within an hour of when I disconnect from the vsphere client.  I tried looking through the settings for power, etc in vsphere but did not find anything.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

which guest OS do you run? In case of Windows, is it a genuine Windows? In case of licensing or activation issues Windows may shut down after 1 or 2 hours.

If the above can be ruled out, please attach the latest vmware.log files of both VM's to find out what may be causing the shutdown.

Did you configure the VMs to power on automatically with the host?

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

which guest OS do you run? In case of Windows, is it a genuine Windows? In case of licensing or activation issues Windows may shut down after 1 or 2 hours.

If the above can be ruled out, please attach the latest vmware.log files of both VM's to find out what may be causing the shutdown.

Did you configure the VMs to power on automatically with the host?

André

0 Kudos
ameravi75
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well it looks like it is indeed because I am running server 2008 r2 on the guests as an evaluation.  I rearmed the evaluation period and they are running with no issues.  I was surprised since I've run evaluations on hyper-v and had no issues with them shutting down.  Thanks! 

0 Kudos