VMware Cloud Community
Sree85
Contributor
Contributor

vm power off state issue

Hi

I am facing problem with two VMs. automatically VMs state changing to power off.

Host running on esxi 5.1 and windows server 2008 OS running on VMs.

What could be the issue..?

Need help.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vNEX
Expert
Expert

Hi,

generally this could by caused by scheduled task either in guests itself or in vCenter server  ...

You can start investigate inside the log files, form more info see:

VMware KB: Determining why a virtual machine was powered off or restarted

Also see this article.

VMware KB: Virtual machine powers off while creating or deleting snapshots with the error: Failed to...

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.
0 Kudos
Sateesh_vCloud

Sree,

Question with more specific points will be good.

VM can go to power-off state either from OS or from VMware settings.

If you can narrowdown the problem to which area it belongs to like OS or VMware then start review the logs in that space.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Follow me @ www.vmwareguruz.com Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful T. Sateesh VCIX-NV, VCAP 5-DCA/DCD,VCP 6-NV,VCP 5 DCV/Cloud/DT, ZCP IBM India Pvt. Ltd
0 Kudos
Sree85
Contributor
Contributor

I think the issue with the OS(windows server 2008).

I login into the VM, verified the event viewer and found the below information :

event id is 1074 and " the process wlms.exe has initiated the power off  of computer win2k8r2-1(server name) on behalf of NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason :

other unplanned

reason code : 0x0

shutdown type : power off

"

I have verified the error in google and found that error related to windows activation.

However, the OS installed on the VM is genuine and activated.

Any help....?

0 Kudos
ashleymilne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You may have to call Microsoft support. If you power up the VM and verify that it is activated, can you run windows updates? The serve rmay think its activated but also may think its gone past its 30 day trial (if it also thinks its not activated) you may need Microsoft's help to reactivate the OS.

0 Kudos
Sateesh_vCloud

If this is Windows 2008 problem then you are in wrong forum or community

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Follow me @ www.vmwareguruz.com Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful T. Sateesh VCIX-NV, VCAP 5-DCA/DCD,VCP 6-NV,VCP 5 DCV/Cloud/DT, ZCP IBM India Pvt. Ltd
0 Kudos
vNEX
Expert
Expert

this happens when you run out off 180 day activation period if you either never activate your OS or your OS cannot locate and contact KMS server (on the network) for extending the period to the next 180 days.

If your OS cannot locate KMS server on your network it could be caused by DNS resolution issue or some problems with KMS server itself.

With slmgr.vbs /dli or /dlv verify and post your activation status.

Also run slmgr.vbs /xpr to display license expiration information

If the system was previously activated with KMS server run slmgr.vbs /ato to reactivate ...

...post the results ...

In emergency you can also try to extend for another XX days with slmgr.vbs /rearm

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.
0 Kudos
NavalgundRaj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Please let us know the complete setup of your vsphere so that we can easily help out in finding the cause of the issue.

Regards

Raj

Note: If you found this correct or answer useful please consider the use of the Correct buttons to award points. Regards Basavaraj.R Navalgund
0 Kudos