VMware Cloud Community
VIRTUALFLARE1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vm network migrate to different vswitch

Hi Admins,

Apologies if I posted this question into a wrong forum.

My environment includes ESXi 6 latest update, vcenter server 6 latest update, web client.

I had my Win2012 VMs on a ESXi 6.0 which were using the VSS vswitch0 for I/O including the Management network. (I believe this is the default mechanism in VMware that if you dont define the different network profiles, the VMs take the default network profile.. ie., VM Network on vswitch0).

As I was trying to segregate the different network profiles, like, vMotion Network, vApp Network, Management network, Storage network etc, I removed the VM Network port group from vswitch0. (I had to power off the VMs to get this task completed). Once I removed the VM Network port group and when I created another port group with the name VM Network by creating a new VSS vswitch2, I was unable to ping any VMs. Also I removed and tried to re-add a new network interface for my VMs but was unable to see any network profiles associated with the VMs.

I have attached the screenshot's of the errors.

Am I missing anything here ?

Regards

Taz~

network-error1.jpg

network-error2.jpg

network-error3.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

VM Network which you have created on vSwitch2 is not Virtual Machine Port Group, It's VMKernel port that you have created by mistake.

Please remove it if you are not planning to use it.

and add Virtual Machine Port group, then when you edit your VM Settings, under vNIC, you will definitely see that port group name.

At the moment, I see that you don't have any VM Porgroup in your environment.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

VM Network which you have created on vSwitch2 is not Virtual Machine Port Group, It's VMKernel port that you have created by mistake.

Please remove it if you are not planning to use it.

and add Virtual Machine Port group, then when you edit your VM Settings, under vNIC, you will definitely see that port group name.

At the moment, I see that you don't have any VM Porgroup in your environment.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
VIRTUALFLARE1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You are right. I was mind struck. I created the VMKernel port which was causing the issue. The minute I re-created a VM Port group, everything became normal.

Appreciate your quick response.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos