VMware Cloud Community
VMVI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vm migration from vsphere5.5 to vsphere6.0

Hi

I have a environment:- Two vcenter 5.5 and 6.0. I want to migrate the vm's from 5.5 to 6.0 with out taking any downtime.

question1:- Could we leverage the vmotion across vcenter option between 5.5 and 6.0 ?  (no common storage but they are on same subnet)

question2:-  Incase if moved few esxi hosts from vcenter 5.5 and added to vcenter 6.0.? (no common storage but they are on same subnet)

* vds is implemented on vcenter 5.5 and vcenter 6.0, do the same dvportgroup should be available on both vcenter5.5 and vcenter6.0. in order to move esxi hosts from vcenter 5.5 to vcenter 6.0?

question3:- In vcenter6.0 we can migrate vm from any vds to vds. so if i moving esxi5.5 hosts from vcenter 5.5 (dvswitch01)to vcenter 6.0(dvswitch02) both vcenters are having independent dvswitches not spanned accross the vcenters. After adding the esxi5.5 hosts to vcenter 6.0, can the VM's residing on esxi5.5 hosts still run with the same dvswitch containing from vcenter 5.5 with out any network outage or their will be network outage? (no common storage but they are on same subnet)

question4:- for question3, in case if there is any network outage/downtime, what is the best approach with out taking any downtime/network outage?

**Thank you in advance. Appreciate your time and help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

question1:- Could we leverage the vmotion across vcenter option between 5.5 and 6.0 ?  (no common storage but they are on same subnet)

If it is in linked mode you can do need shutdown virtual machine

question2:-  Incase if moved few esxi hosts from vcenter 5.5 and added to vcenter 6.0.? (no common storage but they are on same subnet)

* vds is implemented on vcenter 5.5 and vcenter 6.0, do the same dvportgroup should be available on both vcenter5.5 and vcenter6.0. in order to move esxi hosts from vcenter 5.5 to vcenter 6.0?

Once you will try add host in 6.0 it will ask on which dv port you want add this , your vcenter should ping those esxi 6.0 host.

question3:- In vcenter6.0 we can migrate vm from any vds to vds. so if i moving esxi5.5 hosts from vcenter 5.5 (dvswitch01)to vcenter 6.0(dvswitch02) both vcenters are having independent dvswitches not spanned accross the vcenters. After adding the esxi5.5 hosts to vcenter 6.0, can the VM's residing on esxi5.5 hosts still run with the same dvswitch containing from vcenter 5.5 with out any network outage or their will be network outage? (no common storage but they are on same subnet)

Yes it would be continue, no outage

question4:- for question3, in case if there is any network outage/downtime, what is the best approach with out taking any downtime/network outage?

I would suggest , create one Standard switch on your vcenter server 6  then add esxi 5.5 on this switch ( do the network configuration properly VLAN etc)

2. Once everything working fine then create (dvswitch01) and choose version 6 ( do the network configuration properly VLAN etc) here you need to define port group according to your environment

3 once it done add only host on newly created dvs

4. Once it added use migrate virtual machine wizard from dvs and select destination port which you created in step 2

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If it is in linked mode you can do need shutdown virtual machine

Once you will try add host in 6.0 it will ask on which dv port you want add this , your vcenter should ping those esxi 6.0 host.

Yes it would be continue, no outage

I would suggest , create one Standard switch on your vcenter server 6  then add esxi 5.5 on this switch ( do the network configuration properly VLAN etc)

2. Once everything working fine then create (dvswitch01) and choose version 6 ( do the network configuration properly VLAN etc) here you need to define port group according to your environment

3 once it done add only host on newly created dvs

4. Once it added use migrate virtual machine wizard from dvs and select destination port which you created in step 2

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
VMVI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you Rajeev. I appreciate your time and help.

0 Kudos