VMware Cloud Community
goodface
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vm memory consumed

Dear,

just a tiny doubt, what is "memory consumed" ? vrealize says 28.66 gb is enough but memory consumed says 90.75 gb is enough. Could RedHat admin have misconfigured the ram configuration. From time to time the linux admin says  it is not enough ram for os.  I can not understand it. I have read a lot of articles. but I can not find it . can you said something definite about it. i must increase the ram ? or redhat admin makes wrong ram setting on redhat 6

vm is redhat 6 enterprise and has 64 gb memory. esxi 5.5 u2.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Gidrakos
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Consumed is the amount of memory that has been allocated to the VM by the host. Active is the amount of memory currently being used.

See: Memory Counters , Memory Performance Analysis and Monitoring and Interpreting esxtop Statistics

With RedHat in particular (from my experience), the OS does not send the signal to the hypervisor telling it that it is done using a particular bit of ram - because of this, the hypervisor never deallocates the ram, and the host reports it as being consumed.

The simplest way to see what RedHat is really doing under the hood is to get on the machine and run something like top or htop to see what's taking up the memory (if anything at all).