VMware Cloud Community
gdy1039
Contributor
Contributor

vm disk consolidation needed

Hello

I am on esxi 7. My system keep prompt consolidation needed. but no snapshot can be found.

I try to follow below link to do something, but I don't understand "-v10" in command vmkfstools -q -v10 VM-Name-000002.vmdk.

would you please advise what I should do to fix this warning?

Very appreciate for your help.

Thank you.

https://www.nakivo.com/blog/fix-vmware-error-virtual-machine-disks-consolidation-needed/

2.png4.png1.png3.png

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The consolidation message shows up if the data in shown in the Snapshot Manager does not match the existing snapshots.

The main causes why a snapshot consolidation fails, are either low free disk space on the datastore (especially with thin provisioned virtual disks), or a backup application that uses Hot-Add, and did not release/unmount the VM's virtual disk from its backup server, or proxy. In the latter case, verify that no backup is active, and remove the mounted VM's virtual disk from the backup server/proxy (do NOT opt to delete it from the disk!).

André

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

No snapshots can be found ??? - do you trust Snapshotmanager ?
That guy has no clue about the number of snapshots that are in use as soon as your vmsd-file is corrupt.

Your screenshots show that you have about 29 snapshots - please dont attach images in such a  way that the full content is invisible. ...

-v10 in vmkfstools commands sets the verbosity-level. v10 means : show all details
I looked at the link you mentioned and I would suggest to delete the bookmark - not useful ...

0 Kudos
gdy1039
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Thank for your reply. What I said "No snapshot" means in snapshot manager, there is no snapshot and there is no snapshot.vmdk file in storage.

If that link not help, would you mind provide some advice to help?

Thank you

Regards

Scott Gao

0 Kudos
gdy1039
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

Thanks for reply.

Do you konw is there ia troubleshoot path that I can follow to trace root cause? Or say is there any error code, flag or status show that where I am stucking? Keep try but fail make me feel bad and less try have less risk for data.

I will try to check backup then reply result.

Thank you.

Regards.

Scott Gao

0 Kudos
gdy1039
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

You are correct.  disk lock by hotadd backup. I release from there then consolidate completed.

Thank you.

Regards.

Scott

0 Kudos