VMware Cloud Community
wb2
Contributor
Contributor

virtualizing and upgrading OS at same time.

I have a very large file server.  It's a physical server running w2k3.  My plan is to virtualize it, but to move to w2k8 r2.  The 4+TB of data on the shares are sitting on a iscsi SAN.  Does anyone know if I'll run into any issues if I simply rebuild a w2k8 r2 vritual server and repoint the iscsi volumes to this new server?  Will the difference in windows versions cause any issues with permissions/security on the NTFS volumes?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert

Should go without saying that you should make sure you have reliable backups before doing anything Smiley Happy

Are you planning on configuring the iSCSI initiator in the Windows windows guest (I'm  assuming that's what you're currently using and still plan to use)?

I would think you'd be OK, but not having done it before myself, I would refer you to this KB article.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101054...

I think you should be able to do what you are proposing so long as you follows the typical steps for planning that type of migration in a physical envrionment.  NTFS permissions should remain intact (assuming you're leaving the server in the same AD domain so that the current list of SIDs are still valid).  Attach the iSCSI targets, re-create the CIFS shares, and modify any logon scripts that map drives for Windows clients, and you should be OK.

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

wb2 wrote:

I have a very large file server.  It's a physical server running w2k3.  My plan is to virtualize it, but to move to w2k8 r2.  The 4+TB of data on the shares are sitting on a iscsi SAN.  Does anyone know if I'll run into any issues if I simply rebuild a w2k8 r2 vritual server and repoint the iscsi volumes to this new server?  Will the difference in windows versions cause any issues with permissions/security on the NTFS volumes?

having done this before, the best way is to convert the server as is (P2V) -- minus the 4 TB array of course.  Then upgrade windows AFTER it's a VM.  That way you don't complicate the server install in case you have problems.  Plus you have a back up of the original server, because all you have done is convert it without upgrading.

I have never had a problem with W2K3 to K8 upgrade, it's pretty straight forward, but you need to remove the software once a VM like the video drivers, and 3rd party OEM / hardware software, that stuff that's needed for physical before you do the upgrade as well, just some advice.

You could install a NEW VM with Windows 2008, that will be perfectly fine, however you have to consider setting up shares, installing, adding roles, updates, etc... a lot of work when you already have the server ready to go.

Other than that you should have no issues.

0 Kudos