VMware Cloud Community
pelzi71
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

virtualize a w2k3 - exchange 2003 server to ESXi5 vm

Hello,

I need to virtualize a physical machine windows 2003 server sp2 with exchange server 2003 to my esxi5 host.

The machine is also a domain contoller - don't blame me it was not my idear.

So I think an onine migration with vmware converter is not a good idear.

I would prefer an offline migration but I haven't the coldclone CD, because I'm using the esxi version only.

I don't know where I can get the coldclone cd.

My third plan is to create an acronis image offline and migrate the image with the vm converter.

I have an acronis version 9 only and I'm not sure if the vm converter will work with that version.

Would be nice if you could suggest me some other more useful ways to do my virtualization.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
dales123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How many DC's do you have in the environment I'm possibly assuming it is the only DC you have. If you have 2 then it makes things a little easier but the killer to using vmware convertor on the only DC is that you will need to boot the DC into dsrm mode which means DNS, AD etc will not work and converter will eventually halt the process or stall unless you use the hostfile to populate important infrastructure points.

Here's a quick blog post on what I did a while back probably not best practice but it worked without any issue. http://vhorizon.co.uk/?p=742

There is also a microsoft white paper on domain controller time skew that you will need to pay special attention to as the virtual dc will not be able yto rely on cpu cycles to keep track of time like it used to, if unchecked this will cause all manner of fun and games in the future.

Kind Regards Dale VCP3+5
pelzi71
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have 3 domain controllers on the network, don't know why there are only about 70 clients.

May be it would be a good idear to demote this server from domain and use it as normal member server ( it is no sbs ).

I think even one domain controller on the network can do that job as well.

The server is also dns and wins server, but this should also work if it is in member server mode ( there is another domain- controller with dns and wins).

0 Kudos
dales123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK thats not quite so bad then, you should never demote a DC that also houses an exchange server google it and have a look at the horror stories. If it was me if the other dc's are just dc's (without any other funky software on them) I'd p2v those instead and wait for the pennies to roll in to perform a clean exchange install on a clean vm that is not a dc. I guess your company is thinking about it anyway as its EOL is not that far off.

Anyway I would still perform the p2v as per my blog post and just make doubly sure that any exchange services have stopped in DSRM mode before starting the p2v.

Kind Regards Dale VCP3+5
0 Kudos
pelzi71
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You think it is better to install a fresh clean vm (no dc) and  migrate the exchange server to the new vm?

This would be also an option for me.

At this moment I have no idear how to do that, but there will be a lot of articles in microsofts knowledge base and technet.

There will be some trouble if the name of  the exchange server changes i think.

If exchange is migrated i could demote and poweroff the physical machine.

0 Kudos
dales123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes you could follow this KB http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997176.aspx to migrate the exchange server and if theres only 70 users the actualy database transfer shouldn't take too long. If management absolutely want you to p2v the box as is I would follow my blog post otherwise build a fresh vm with server 2003 on it and then migrate exchange to that new vm, One last thing to check is make sure none of your licences on that physical box are OEM's otherwise you'll need to shell out for a new one.

Kind Regards Dale VCP3+5
pelzi71
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just read an article about "swing migration". I think this is the best way for doing the migration for me.

Threre is nearly no downtime for the exchange service and I can migrate user by user or better mailbox by mailbox.

I will look at your link soon.

I need to collect some furher detailed information about that.

0 Kudos
Cyberfed27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Be aware that turning a physical server into a VM that is acting as a Domain Controller is a bad idea.

I highly recommend you build fresh VM's and DCPROMO them and move the roles off your physical AD servers, then demote the physical servers.

0 Kudos
pelzi71
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes you are right. I will do the migration exactly as you suggest me.

I will give you a feedback after finishing the migration process.

0 Kudos