Just deployed a batch of vm's from a template I normally use although I did several at the same time instead of one at once.
The template is in a workgroup and we use a configuration file to sysprep the newly deployed image.
I have just had a problem where remote desktop stopped working and upon looking in AD I discovered that almost all of these newly deployed templates show the server name twice except one of them is disabled and has what looks like a SID number next to it.
I have fixed this by removing the images from the domain, deleting both computer entries and then joining the images back to the domain but don't really want to have to do this all the time.
Anyone else seen this or knows what it is.
This is a test / demo domain so it's not like there are masses of AD requests or changes.
It seems like whatever process you are using to join the machines to the domain is the problem. You say you are using a "configuration file" to do this. Do you mean you are using a vSphere "customization" (assuming you are on vSphere, you didn't mention your VMware versions...)? If so, go to your Customization Specification Manager (CtrlShftU), and edit the customization you are using. Make sure you an appropriate setting in the "Computer Name" section.
If you're using some other tool, recheck your configuration file to make sure you have things working properly to determine the unique name for each system you use it on.
Please consider awarding points for correct and/or helpful answers
I have had to cleanup old computer accounts and DHCP leases for VM's. Not sure if this is a Microsoft or VMware problem. Have not had a problem with the SID using Sysprep.
Oops I meant customisation.
We are using the vm name for the computer name eg vm-001, vm-002 etc.....
We are using vsphere.