VMware Cloud Community
StjepanCD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vim-cmd or esxcli command to enable "vSphere Replication" vmkernel services

Hi,

I am installing my ESXi hosts using kickstart file. During firstboot, an additional vmkernel interface is created in Default TCP/IP stack, and I need to enable "vSphere Replication" and "vSphere Replication NFC" services for that vmk interface. I looked at "vim-cmd hostsvc" (where vmotion service can be enabled) but did not find anything related to vSphere Replication services.

Does anyone know how to enable these two vmkernel services during kickstart firstboot phase?

Thank you

Stjepan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

You'll want to use ESXCLI to perform this operation and you can apply any of the supported VMkernel traffic types, see CLI help for details:

esxcli network ip interface tag
Usage: esxcli network ip interface tag {cmd} [cmd options]

Available Commands:
  add                   Adds a tag on a given VMkernel network interface. Supported tags are: Management, VMotion, faultToleranceLogging, vSphereReplication,
                        vSphereReplicationNFC, vSphereProvisioning, VSAN, VSANWitness, vSphereBackupNFC, PrecisionTimeProtocol, NVMeTCP, NVMeRDMA
  get                   Gets the tags set on the given VMkernel network interface.
  remove                Removes a tag on a given VMkernel network interface.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

You'll want to use ESXCLI to perform this operation and you can apply any of the supported VMkernel traffic types, see CLI help for details:

esxcli network ip interface tag
Usage: esxcli network ip interface tag {cmd} [cmd options]

Available Commands:
  add                   Adds a tag on a given VMkernel network interface. Supported tags are: Management, VMotion, faultToleranceLogging, vSphereReplication,
                        vSphereReplicationNFC, vSphereProvisioning, VSAN, VSANWitness, vSphereBackupNFC, PrecisionTimeProtocol, NVMeTCP, NVMeRDMA
  get                   Gets the tags set on the given VMkernel network interface.
  remove                Removes a tag on a given VMkernel network interface.

StjepanCD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi William,

Thank you so much for your help! The funny thing is that I looked into "esxcli network ip interface" namespace help, and I saw "tag" namespace there, but I thought it was some kind of logical, not service tagging, so I didn't look into it further. I implemented "esxcli network ip interface tag add" command into my kickstart script, and it worked flawlessly 🙂 Thanks again and have a good one!

Stjepan

0 Kudos