VMware Cloud Community
olegarr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vihostupdate.pl usage/issue

Hello:

I want to install bundle upgrade HP CIM on VMWare ESXi4. As far as I know vihostupdate.pl script should be used and run like this:

vihostupdate.pl --server <ESXi4-host-name> --install --bundle c:\hp-esxi4.0uX-bundle-1.1.zip

However, when I run it from vSphere PowerCLI I have error "The term 'vihostupdate.pl' is not recognized as a cmdlet, function, operable program, or script file. Verify the term and try again."

Can someone please advise how to correct run vihostupdate.pl script?

Thanks,

olegarr

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

It's failing because vihostupdate.pl is NOT a PowerCLI cmdlet, it's part of the vCLI utilities that uses the vSphere SDK for Perl. You need to install the vCLI on either Windows/Linux to execute that utility, please take a look at the documentation for vCLI

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

Twitter: @lamw

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Comuunity

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

It's failing because vihostupdate.pl is NOT a PowerCLI cmdlet, it's part of the vCLI utilities that uses the vSphere SDK for Perl. You need to install the vCLI on either Windows/Linux to execute that utility, please take a look at the documentation for vCLI

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

Twitter: @lamw

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Comuunity

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
olegarr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Lamw,

You are right!!! Thanks a lot! I knew it should be something easy and vCLI resolved it...

Thanks a lot for your help.

0 Kudos
dieter14
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hey i have the same problem but i have all ready install power shell i dont know what to do thaks

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

vihostupdate.pl is a vCLI cmdlt. You can install VCLI from following location.

https://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vcli/

0 Kudos
dieter14
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hey thank's  a lot for the quick respond but i have all ready instal vm cli when i am trying to put the commandi have and erro in de line 13 i dont know what to do, i have try another approach i did it in linux and looks like its working. but in WS2008 r2 i dont have the same result thank alot again

0 Kudos
wilmanns
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am having the same issue from a windows 2003 R2 x64 server.

this is what is get

[vSphere PowerCLI] C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin> vihostupdate.pl
The term 'vihostupdate.pl' is not recognized as a cmdlet, function, operable program, or script fil
e. Verify the term and try again.
At line:1 char:16
+ vihostupdate.pl  <<<<

when i run it with ./ it pops up a new window and does not seem to work

0 Kudos