VMware Cloud Community
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

vihostupdate - patches for 4.1 esxi

Hi,

I'm just trying to work out the process to get a 4.0i (first release) server updated to latest 4.1i.

I do not use Update Manager.

I realise I could use the Host Update Utility to upgrade to 4.1i, then apply patches ESXi410-201010001 and ESXi410-201011001, but it feels like the long way around.

As far as I understand these releases are cumulative - can I skip the upgrade to 4.1 and simply apply the two patches above?

Also, I notice both of these involve a firmware update. Is the updater smart enough to manage the process if I applied them out of order? Say I applied the latest one - but the VMWare Tools update was only in the earlier patch (it is) can I apply the earlier patch and just have it update tools?

This is looking a lot trickier without Host Update Utility :smileysilly:

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Yattong
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hey,

The problem is that 4.0 and 4.1 are slightly different beasts, as ESX 3.0 and 3.5 were/are.  And they have a different line of development.

so, in short you will have to upgrade first.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
logiboy123
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Having done host upgrades manually and via Update Manager, I would seriously encourgage you to consider implementing UM. It is a free utility after all and if you cannot allow your vCenter server to talk to the internet then you can set up the Update Manager Download Service on a server in your DMZ to act as a proxy server.

Yattong
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hey,

The problem is that 4.0 and 4.1 are slightly different beasts, as ESX 3.0 and 3.5 were/are.  And they have a different line of development.

so, in short you will have to upgrade first.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Thanks for the confirmation Yattong.

As for Update Manager, yes I have considered it. I've used it plenty. But:

It's not relevant to ESXi free

It's a frustrating, painful product in my opinion

0 Kudos